MSOC Forums

MSOC Forums (http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   Engine Tuning (http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=36)
-   -   First mods to N/A engine? (http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10528)

The H 15th March 2007 09:06 PM

First mods to N/A engine?

Hi guys,

After some opinions and pointing in the right direction.

I've got a j-spec N/A aerotop.

Been looking at playing with the engine a little. Not too much, as I hope to drop a UK spec TT engine in to her over the winter.

Was planning on an aftermarket supercharged induction kit, fuel pressure regulater and a HKS superdragger exhaust from cat back.

A lot of the information points away from changing the stock air filter. Is it worthwhile upgrading the filter within the stock housing? and if so, what's the best filter?

Also, has anyone fitted one of the electronic supercharged airfilters? Does it do anything, or am I wasting money? If they are value for money, is it worthwhile fitting one between the stock airbox and the air intake of the engine?

A lot of questions I know, but I do work in finance!!!!!

All help will be gratefully received

H

Kev.O 15th March 2007 09:09 PM

Can't realy help with the tuning side of things, just wanted to say welcome

The H 15th March 2007 09:47 PM

Cheers kev. Nice to find a club where people are honest with their opinions and as helpful as their knowledge extends.

suprarob 15th March 2007 10:14 PM

If I was you and was going to put a TT engine in it then I wouldn,t bother
doing anything to your na engine

Anything like air filters will only give a fraction of an increase in hp if any to your na

Electronic superchargers are about as usefull as an ash tray on a motor bike

so don,t bother

Use the money you save on the TT

Kev.O 15th March 2007 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKSUPRA (Post 84144)
If I was you and was going to put a TT engine in it then I wouldn,t bother
doing anything to your na engine

Anything like air filters will only give a fraction of an increase in hp if any to your na

Use the money you save on the TT

I tend to agree, though putting something like a cat back exhaust on won't be a waste as it can still be used once a TT is installed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by UKSUPRA (Post 84144)
Electronic superchargers are about as usefull as an ash tray on a motor bike

so don,t bother

:laugh:

UltraFlynn 16th March 2007 08:27 AM

When tested on a rolling road, those electronic superchargers actually reduce power. When you turn them on they decrease power even more.

If I had an NA and I wasn't willing to sell it and buy a TT, then I'd seriously be considering the Thor V8 conversion.

The H 16th March 2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flynn (Post 84148)
When tested on a rolling road, those electronic superchargers actually reduce power. When you turn them on they decrease power even more.

If I had an NA and I wasn't willing to sell it and buy a TT, then I'd seriously be considering the Thor V8 conversion.

Is the Thor conversion a turbo'd engine. I wanted a TT aerotop, but they're like rocking horse poo!! The few that I did find were a little too 'chavvy' to my taste. Any idea on power and cost of the thor conversion?

UltraFlynn 16th March 2007 10:43 AM

The V8 conversion uses a Soarer engine and that's a non-turbo.

There was a big write-up in last months Japanese Performance magazine.

Have a chat with Pete Betts. He'll give you the lowdown.

suprarob 16th March 2007 02:14 PM

Quote:

though putting something like a cat back exhaust on won't be a waste as it can still be used once a TT is installed.
good point Kev ;)

J-S14A 22nd March 2007 06:44 PM

http://www.whifbitz.co.uk/supra-turbo.html

Powerhouse racing to a n/a-t conversion. Good power gains to be made.
I'd also consider the v8 as it would be different.

If you want a twin turbo it would probably be better just to sell yours and buy a tt in my opinion.

Welcome by the way!