MSOC Forums

MSOC Forums (http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Supra Chat (http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Virgin supra owner in need of tuning ideas (http://www.mkivsupraownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4781)

B6AVE 8th July 2004 11:11 PM

Hello all,

I am an old hand in the modding world but a total virgin to the supra. Ive a standard TT auto import an would like to know what the best Induction kit is for my money and any other types of advice on exhausts, turbo boosts etc.

Martin F 9th July 2004 12:22 AM

As a starting point i'd probably leave the intake side alone and look at removing the cats first. Cat removal pipes can be bought for approx ?300 and once fitted your car will be a totally different animal. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...ns/biggrin.gif

On a Jap spec car when you remove the CATs you need to keep an eye on the boost level and make sure you don't over do it so a boost gauge would be a good idea. You can restrict the boost level initially by fitting a restrictor ring in one of the CAT removal pipes. Also a freer flowing exhaust system will help release a few more ponies and make the car sound like it should. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...ns/biggrin.gif

B6AVE 9th July 2004 11:19 AM

Ive been looking at getting a full exhaust catback system for the supra in 3inch all the way, would I still need to keep an eye on the turbo boost then. I should get sum gauges soon, do I need 2, one for each turbo or just one main boost gauge.

alex h 9th July 2004 12:12 PM

Usually a 2.5" decat with a 3"cat back can just about keep boost under control, but even then you sometimes need a restrictor plate as the stock wastegate on a j-spec can't control the boost with a free flowing exhaust.

Martin F 9th July 2004 12:41 PM

You only need one boost gauge.

chiefgroover 9th July 2004 03:16 PM

Intake kits..........why suck hot engine bay air into your engine?, try a good panel filter, like TRD or Blitz. Make sure you hear an exhaust in operation on a Supra before buying, regardless of brand as you will have to listen to it, they vary greatly. If your car had 16" wheels as standard first mod is the bigger 17" oe brakes , as point to point you will be a lot quicker ( and safer).

B6AVE 10th July 2004 01:11 PM

hello chiefgroover. Is that what youve done and just upgraded the panel filter, I didnt think that the gains from that were as good as getting a full induction kit, and with regards to the hot air cant you always get a heat shield and and have a cold feed right next to the filter. Would be interestin to know if youve gained more from just changing the panel filter in performance as you would from changing to a full induction kit. Also how much do the bigger disks cost and can you keep the original calipers.

Cheers Michael

chiefgroover 10th July 2004 04:46 PM

Have rolling roaded both the panel and intake kit, and on my car the power output was almost identical on a cold day and the panel filter won on a hot day. The intake kits are noisey, boy racer noisey, not my sceen but maybe yours? Induction kits work great on some cars, just not on a BPU supra from my experience. (if fitting a big single turbo etc the intake kit is the only was i know of). No doubt I have opened a can of worms from posting my finding for the "I have something contrary to say brigade" just watch the replies this gets from sellers of such kits. I have yet to hear a fishmonger shout "stale herrings" lol.
AS for the discs it goes without saying that you fit the calipers too. I am unaware of anyone ever doing discs only, but i apologise for forgetting to be detailed as you are a "virgin" in the Supra and possibly tuning world.
You ought to ask Chris Wilson his opinion on your first power upgrades especially intake kits and de cats. He is highly respected by all of the members of this web site to whom I have spoken. His phone number is 01948-841581 office hours. The trick with a Supra is not to waste money on stuff that makes little difference. I am very happy with the CW de-cat / super dragger combination, panel filter and Blitz sbc ID boost controller, which is a very easy to use boost controller with every feature I could ask for and will give you excellent power gains. You might hit lucky and find a member braking a UK spec to get the brake calipers, and then buy yourself new toyota discs and pads and bed them in slowly for a few hundred miles.
you will see the power output the engine mods gave me on a dyno sheet elsewhere on this site which was unbelieved until posted. You car being Jap will prob be IRO 30 bhp less?. OH yes and the Super dragger sounds so sweet which is nice when its a proven horsepower master.

alex h 10th July 2004 05:01 PM

Can't agree more with what chief has said. Cotton Panel filter, CW decat, Super Drager or Blitz Nur, UK Discs/calipers/pads. I'd also add an HKS SQV as I love the noise this BOV makes - but it's not to everyone's taste and it doesn't actually add anything to the car in BPU form.

Martin F 10th July 2004 05:11 PM

Just to add to them two posts, imagine how much money went into the R&D of the Toyota air box and filter system, then imagine how much R&D went into a K&N, Blitz or HKS induction system.

Thats not to say that induction kits don't have their place, its just the advantages on a BPU car are not all they are hyped up to be. Remember heat is a killer to a forced induction engine.

B6AVE 11th July 2004 12:15 AM

Thanks guys that was very helpful. I think I will go with a filter panel but which one and where is the best place to get one. And does the filter panel make a slight sound difference at all, as I kinda like the induction noise.

Cheers,

Michael

alex h 11th July 2004 08:37 AM

Probably anyone who has posted in the Traders section can help you out.

chiefgroover 11th July 2004 09:43 AM

induction noise, you'll forget about it when you hear a S.Dragger and decat! music to my and everyone around me's ears. First time you fit it you'll be up all night racing around listening to it. About a fortnight later you might put the radio on again http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...ons/tounge.gif

B6AVE 11th July 2004 11:01 AM

How much does the S dragger cost and where can I get one

B6AVE 11th July 2004 11:17 AM

Hello chief groover, what panel filter did you go for in the end. And is there a noticeable difference in the power once you changed it from the standard one.

B6AVE 11th July 2004 11:47 AM

Ive just ordered the blitz panel filter. Will be the second mod to my supra, first being the head unit. Just need to get some alloy wheels soon. Then the exhaust after that.

alex h 11th July 2004 02:16 PM

If you want to upgrade your wheels then I advise you make sure they have a large enough offset for UK or bigger brakes. Speak to Ibrar Jabber at www.pro-alloys.co.uk and he should tell you what you can fit over UK or larger brake kits. (obviously you can get the brake laters but this means you'll have the freedom to change them later and not be restricted by not having enough spoke clearance.

B6AVE 11th July 2004 08:07 PM

Cant afford wheels just yet but Im thinking about getting oxigin 2's from topgear.com in 19inch. They offer 0% finance which is the only way I can afford wheels for a while.:(

GavinL 11th July 2004 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (B6AVE @ July 11 2004,21:07)]Cant afford wheels just yet but Im thinking about getting oxigin 2's from topgear.com in 19inch. They offer 0% finance which is the only way I can afford wheels for a while.:(

Ahh...19" wheels on a Supra.

That's another thread in it's own right http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...s/outahere.gif

B6AVE 11th July 2004 08:21 PM

LOL why is that a thread in its own right!!!
Is there something wrong with 19s on a supra.

B6AVE 11th July 2004 08:24 PM

does being a member here allow us to get discount at envyperformance.

alex h 11th July 2004 09:03 PM

Envy's prices are pretty competative. Personally I would go to Ibrar... but anyway.
There are two schools of owners, those that like bling and those that hate it. 19's don't help the handling/performance/comfort of the car in any way shape or form so are thrown into the bling catagory. That is why you could start a whole new thread/argument about what size wheels to go for. I'm starting to get an idea that you indeed like shiney things so expect the non bling people to advise you towards the "light" http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...cons/smile.gif

Martin F 11th July 2004 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (B6AVE @ July 11 2004,21:24)]does being a member here allow us to get discount at envyperformance.

Unfortunately they don't.

But take a look through the discounts page (HERE) some of the suppliers listed do give discounts off wheels, ie. Racelogic off the Blitz wheels

B6AVE 12th July 2004 06:29 PM

Ibrar whos that. I def dont want to effect performance, so 18's are fine by me. I really like the blitz alloys but they are so expensive.

Martin F 12th July 2004 07:41 PM

If you don't want to affect performance they you best go for 17" wheels. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...ns/biggrin.gif

Ibrar runs www.pro-alloys.co.uk

B6AVE 12th July 2004 08:42 PM

are 17s the best for performance and handling then.

SKI 13th July 2004 05:27 PM

Speaking of opening cans of worms an all....

I fitted a TRD panel filter and didn't notice any difference, I heard the stock intake was good for 500bhp+ I'm with the chief on the hot air http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...ns/biggrin.gif

If you haven't already bought one, skip the filter upgrade and go for the TRL FCD, they're about the same price as the filter and allow you to raise your boost above the fuel cut. One of the guys on here will know someone who can fit it for you, C.W did mine with a bleed valve conversion and we raised the boost to about 1.15 bar. The final result was excellent, and to be honest, it is probably in the same region price wise as buying a brand new Apexi induction kit/hoses and having that fitted. You need to decat first or your exhaust temperatures will rocket running higher boost.

Good luck

B6AVE 13th July 2004 06:16 PM

Ive already ordered the filter, should arrive soon. Does anyone know if and how much extra bhp the blitz filter will get me. Yeah im very interested in a turbo boost. Ive seen a blitz one that I like. I really need to get some wheels and then an exhaust first. How much did it cost to fit your trl fcd

alex h 13th July 2004 09:14 PM

Boost pressure gives you HP...not a panel filter. Forget what you read about them giving you more HP it's bollox http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...cons/smile.gif But they look nice lol

Martin F 13th July 2004 09:29 PM

It may give you a little more HP as its a bit more free flowing than stock, even more so if your stock one was a bit old.

But we are really talking in the realm of 1 or 2 more horsies

B6AVE 13th July 2004 09:53 PM

lol oh well. Will let you guys know when i have the money for an exhaust and a boost controller, then i will come for advice etc. What sort of bhp gains can you get from a boost controller and an exhaust then. Cheers guys

alex h 14th July 2004 09:09 AM

Running at 1.15-1.2bar should see 350HP fairly easily. You do not want to run more than that.

chiefgroover 14th July 2004 09:11 AM

B6AVE this question could start WW3 here. Many opinions are to be had. What you need to do is tell everyone WHY you need 19" wheels and what it is you hope to achieve by fitting 19's, when asking the question. Do you want out and out cornering grip? off the line traction for 1/4 mile times?, progessive handling that can be explored to the outer limits with ease? Its your call!.

B6AVE 14th July 2004 09:33 AM

to be honest i want the car to handle very well and look good at the same time. Not really bothererd if 18 or 19. I just said 19 cause thats the size wheel that i got the quote for.

chiefgroover 14th July 2004 12:13 PM

Each wheel and tyre size/brand had its own characteristics. You could consider 8.5ins x 18 (f) and ®10x18 with 235/40 or 245/40 on the front and 265/35 or 275/35 Bridgestone SO3 on the rear. IMO this gives nice progressive handling, even on wet roads the breakaway is relatively slow giving you time to apply the correct amount of opposite lock. 18" if you pick something with class like a Supra deserves, look super. Some of the best IMO are AZEV, blitz or Antera. Azev are very strong and do most of their wheels to fit Supra's, Blitz are excellent but VERY expensive, and Antera are the lowest cost of the 3 but very well finished and pretty strong too.
Here is a very nice set (dont know who makes them, but they look well) http://lisupras.com/SupraMembers/SeanA/1.jpg
If I was buying again I'd probably go for AZEV. I'd never buy a set that I had not seen a pic of the wheels on a Supra. Too much cost to take chances! :-)

B6AVE 14th July 2004 06:49 PM

Ive seen some wheels that I like they are on the topgear.co.uk website and they are called AP30 hyper and have a silver and diamond lip on them, check them out and tell me what you think. Im lookin at the 18's size.

B6AVE 14th July 2004 06:51 PM

Lol how weird is that, I wrote down the name of the alloys that I was looking at before I saw the pic that you wanted me to see and low and behold they are the alloy wheels that I wanna get. How odd is that, mayb I should get a lottery ticket or something. hehe.

Sexy Supra 14th July 2004 07:06 PM

I bought a jap import Supra SZ non turbo 4 months ago. I have no idea what it is fitted with being crap at mechanics, but have been told it has a HKS induction kit and full stainless steel manifold and exhaust system. It has a 4" or 5" tail pipe?? and when it starts up it sounds like a racing car. It came with 18" Momo alloys and steering wheel.

I want to fit a "shark fin" body kit, but people have no idea what that is. I have seen pics in car mags so I assume that is what it is called, or is it known by another name? I know it is not veilside as I don't like them. Perhaps it would be easier if I just took pics of the car and engine then you will know what I mean. Sorry for sounding so dim, but I only know how to drive the thing!!

Martin F 14th July 2004 07:24 PM

Yep get some pics up and we can try and identify some of your bits (ohhhh errrrr).

I thought the Shark Fin body kit was JIC's copy of the Veilside kit, but i guess there could be another one out there called shark fin.

Peeps - I'm going to move this to General Chat as its drifiting away from Engine Tuning. http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/iB_html/n...icons/cool.gif

B6AVE 14th July 2004 09:52 PM

Sadly I think the owner of JIC had a stroke and does not work any more, does anyone know if you can still buy the bodykits that they did at all as they were very good value for money.