MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 26th May 2008, 09:38 PM   #111
ward1955
Old Git

Jap Spec SZ - Auto (NA)
Send a message via Skype™ to ward1955

Well Matt, I bet you do feel better now you got all that lot off your chest !
ward1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 07:47 AM   #112
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Sorry to hear you are thinking of selling Matt, agreed it is very difficult with no garage/driveway to keep from worrying about your P+J. But after all your hard work and soul searching to find one you are thinking of letting it go.

I appreciate that money spent on modifying a car is very unlikly to be recouped but most cars loose money from day one of ownership regardless if they are modified or not.

One concern I have regarding your reply is you mention feeling embarassed turning up on the club stand with your car because you don't feel it matches certain other club members cars. This is something we have always tried to steer clear of, every member is equally welcome regardless of car, condition, money spent etc. It's the people that make a club not their car and I really do hope that we have not given you any reason to doubt that?

As always everyones circumstances are different and for many reasons they decide to move on, regardless of whatever you choose to do Matt (I hope you choose to stick with the car and MSOC ) I wish you the very best of luck.

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 09:06 AM   #113
Angry Koala

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
I appreciate that money spent on modifying a car is very unlikly to be recouped but most cars loose money from day one of ownership regardless if they are modified or not.
I know mate and I realise that even with agreed value policies people like you and Dunk will never recoup the money you've spent on your cars, but without an agreed value policy I'd be in a situation where I could spend the same as you guys (hypothetically - and only if I robbed a bank!) and still only be offered between £4k and £5k if the worst happened.

Quote:
It's the people that make a club not their car and I really do hope that we have not given you any reason to doubt that?
I've always had a bit of a chip on my shoulder about spending my money on things only to find they weren't as good as I first hoped. With the Supra it was actually the first time I'd managed to save up that much money to spend on a car and because of this I wanted (as we all do) it to be perfect. The problem is that it's not - it was a case of buying the car of my dreams and then realising that in fact it would have cost a good deal more to buy the car of my dreams. As fast as it is and as much fun to drive as it is, essentially I would need to spend big money on OEM skirts and spats and a full respray (not to mention all the slightly smaller amounts that would add up for clear indicators, new exhaust, new alloys, engine dress) just for me to be happy with the look of the car. I perhaps should have gone for an absolute minter na with everything done rather than lucking out on a cheapish, but still very tidy tt - but as always hindsight is a wonderful thing!

It's not the club members who cause me to feel embarassed and it's certainly not the meeting up and chatting with you guys which causes me embarassment - it's the way that I feel people (general public and people from other clubs) will view the car as the crappest one on the stand. If it was a bigger club with more members it might be that it was in the middle tier of cars, but the small quantity and huge quality of MSOC cars when we are at Japfest/JAE/etc etc means that (I feel) it stands out for the wrong reasons. Because of the standard of the cars and the small number (and the fact that we usually get stuck somewhere on the fringes of these events) I feel it does sometimes come across as a somewhat more elitist club than for example .net. This isn't a bad thing, it's just the appearance that these circumstances put together can sometimes put across.

Quote:
As always everyones circumstances are different and for many reasons they decide to move on, regardless of whatever you choose to do Matt (I hope you choose to stick with the car and MSOC ) I wish you the very best of luck.
Thanks Barney, and thank you for all the help and advice you have given me during my search for a car and my (albeit apparently brief) ownership experience. The same goes for everyone else who has answered my questions, given pointers, helped with locating parts (esp Dunk) and been more positive about my car than I have probably been myself.... Special huge thanks to Baz without who's input I wouldn't have even considered a Supra and had the fun I have had with the car.
Angry Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 10:08 AM   #114
UltraFlynn
[52.4 Miles] 50 MC 8:41

I know how AK feels. I think his ownership experience is much the same as mine. I spent about minimum money for my car 3 years ago and got the best I could for that money. I got a solid car which in hindsight was a long way from where I wanted it to be. To get it closer to my ideal Supra I would have had to have spent more money and that wasn't going to happen. So 3 years ago I made the decision that the best I could get for my budget was better than not having one at all.

It's been hard, and in three years I have resolved less issues than I would have liked but I have pushed things forward and the car is getting closer to my ideal. Will it ever be exactly what I want? Probably not. Am I ever going to be truly proud to put in on an MSOC stand? Probably not. Going to have to live with that though I guess.

Good luck with the sale AK.
UltraFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2008, 11:16 AM   #115
jay200bhp

Single Turbo - Manual

goodluck with the sale too ak,
from my experiences with other cars i.e cossies,i can see your point of view about owning your dream as a magenta saphire was my boyhood dream ,like gazza being your hero meeting the bloke and realising hes just a pissed middle aged alcoholic........thing is my car was bought as a bit of a nail and an n/a but ive put lots of hours in and lots of swearing etc and through that even though it still will never look like martins for the forseeable future anyway .im proud of it and you should be too as yours is getting closer to your ideal as flynn says,and as far as i can see will be very nice indeed!

all the best jay
Single Precision T67 Turbo
Greddy manifold and wastegate
Syvecs S6 and Toucan touch screen
Work Kai Wheels
Ridox front wings and diffuser
Full Ox blood leather interior
TRD steering wheel
Mapped by Ryan G
@ SRR 803bhp
jay200bhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2008, 07:30 AM   #116
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Matt

Re:Insurance: Agreed, this daft belief that most insurance companies hold that J-specs cost more to repair is a pain in the butt and certainly not helping in anyway, shape or form.

Re:Mods/money etc: Without an endless pot of money none of us can have exactly what we want and I bet we all have felt, or still do, feel your frustration at wanting your/our car(s) perfect. The truth is for most of us that it takes years to get them anywhere near where we want to be with them and the chances are very few of us have the money or time to ever really complete them. I have owned my car six years and I have outstanding jobs I would really like to do, Martin has had his longer and still has future plans, indeed I don't there are many of us that don't!

Re:Club stands etc: As with all clubs we are at the mercy of the show organisers as to where we are situated at shows, being that we are only a small club I think we do suffer somewhat in terms of getting fitted in around the bigger clubs. But believe me when I say Matt we are all equal here at MSOC and indeed at shows and meets we do not judge people buy the amount of money a person may have spent or quality of their car, there is no club hierarchy.

As for the greater viewing public, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, everyone likes different things and just because your car isn't the same as say my car, they might hate something about mine and love something about yours. At the end of the day it's your car, you have a future vision for it and I would encourage you to follow your goals as time and money permits, in the meantime enjoy it for what it is........a work in progress, like most of ours!

And by the way, you should never feel embarassed about your car, it rightly deserves pride of place alongside any other club car..................hold your head high fella, you own a Supra and your in the best Supra club (imho!)

Re: Help: Matt, you are more than welcome as is anyone regarding help and advice, as a club we wouldn't be doing our job if we couldn't help people get the best from their Supra's. As I said before, whatever you decide I wish you all the very best in that decision.

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE
Old 28th May 2008, 07:58 AM   #117
UltraFlynn

For what it's worth, when AK parked his Supra next to mine at JAE last year I honestly though that it looked really good. I kept trying to hide my rusty portions.

If getting an agreed value for AK's car through Livingstone's is the key issue then I'm sure we could get the relevant documentation sorted out to allow Livingstone's to do this.
Old 28th May 2008, 08:41 AM   #118
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
For what it's worth, when AK parked his Supra next to mine at JAE last year I honestly though that it looked really good. I kept trying to hide my rusty portions.

If getting an agreed value for AK's car through Livingstone's is the key issue then I'm sure we could get the relevant documentation sorted out to allow Livingstone's to do this.
If I had the time right now I would try and open up a dialogue to discuss this with Livingstones but almost certainly and quite rightly we would need proof from body shops to support our arguement.

I also suspect that it's not Livingstones as such that holds the belief that j-spec cars cost more to repair, but their underwriters.

Old 28th May 2008, 09:08 AM   #119
UltraFlynn

I'm moving this investigation to a new thread in the moderators section. As we make progress I will update this thread.

Once we have a list of required parts I will be asking for volunteers to obtain those prices.
Old 28th May 2008, 09:19 AM   #120
Angry Koala

Hang on chaps! I was the one who made the big hoo-hah (spelling?!) about them not doing agreed values and therefore if anyone should be taking the time trying to sort this it's me.

Barn - I know you're in the middle of trying to move house and getting ready for hols and you really don't have the time to be getting into this right now!

Secondly - I have managed to get an agreed value on the car through another insurer who will remain nameless in order not to violate the club policy re traders (which I suspect I may have already done and if so, I apologise again!)

Unfortunately as demonstrated by a member of.net's recent experience (he has no agreed value and has this week been offered a paltry £4100 for a UK SPEC Supra which looked to be in top condition before his accident) and as Martin rightly pointed out, without agreed values on our cars (especially those of us with imports which are worth less anyway) we are all knackered.
Angry Koala is offline   Reply With Quote