MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > Announcements > New to the club?
Register FAQ Community Calendar

New to the club? Tell us about yourself and your car. Even if you're an old timer why not tell us a little about yourself..............
and don't forget the pics !

Old 27th April 2012, 09:39 AM   #1
GLipscomb

Jap Spec SZ-R - 6 sp Manual (NA)
Default American in Germany with J-Spec from the UK

RE: 1997 Supra 3.0L NA (E-JZA80-ALFSF)

'What a Title! 'What a Monster Motor Vehicle!

This is my very first post on MSOC, because I just purchased my very first Supra from a US Service Member here in Germany.

Although I have yet to drive it, I have already fallen in love with this car.

I was always around Supras at SCCA events in the States, but never really paid too much attention to them. Now I know what I was missing.

Historically, my Daily Drivers have been Alfa Romeos, Audis, BMWs, Fiats, Mazdas, MINIs and Porsches - - most of which also doubled as amatuer competiton and/or track day cars. Previous to this purchase, my only Toyota products were limited to station wagons and mini vans.

This J-Spec car was parked for the past two years. Apparently, it had been imported to the UK, then purchased by a US Service Member in Germany. The previous Owner burned-out the clutch in 2010 and could not find the correct replacement parts or a shop willing to perform repairs on a J-Spec car. Hence the interior is spotless and the exterior very grungy - - but easily restorable.

Ironically, I found a German-made flywheel and LUK clutch kit in Charlotte, North Carolina, USA (my former residence) and had them shipped (back) to Germany - - tax-free (eat your heart out)!

I'll be installing the clutch this weekend, and getting the car back on the road very, very soon. 'Cannot wait!

The original exhaust system is somewhat lacking, having sat for so long; so I have ordered a complete 304 stainless header and pipe set from OBX.

While this Supra is not a TT, it is a somewhat rare OEM combination of Getrag 6-speed and LSD, on a strong but light(est)weight chassis (SZ-R).

With only 48,000 miles, the drivetrain is barely boken-in and the interior is absolutely immaculate, with the exception of a single cigarette burn in the bottom of the driver's seat. I'll soon be replacing the fabric with leather upholstry, so that one blemish will be eliminated.

When new, this car sold for 3,400,000¥.

Today, I wouldn't take one Yen less.

'So just how much will it be worth when I get it back on the road?

LOL

Greg'

Gregory K. Lipscomb
Greg.Lipscomb@GMail.com
66879 Niederstaufenbach
Germany
GLipscomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th April 2012, 07:38 PM   #2
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Hi & Welcome !

A clutch is a pretty easy fix so i'm sure you'll soon be up and running. What colour is it? Do you have any pics?

It's a good time to buy one with the summer coming up.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th May 2012, 05:35 AM   #3
GLipscomb

Jap Spec SZ-R - 6 sp Manual (NA)
Default OBX Header & Downpipe

This is a Black Supra, original paint, in need of a thorough rubdown and coat of wax. It's been sitting for 2 years.

I installed an ACT lightweight flywheel and HD street clutch from Toyota (made for the TT, but ideal for this NA with Getrag 6-Speed).

I also installed an OBX header, downpipe, and complete exhaust system (pictures coming soon). However, there's a problem:

The header uses threaded bungs for the (2) upstraem O2 sensors, so the OEM equipment (using 2-bolt flanges) will not fit the header. I need O2 sensors that plug into the wiring harness, and also thread into the header.

'Same deal with the downstream EGR. The OBX downpipe relocates the bung from the OEM location, and places it about 3 feet further downstream. It uses a 2-bolt flange, identical to OEM, but the hole is too small for my aftermarket replacement piece to fit.

'So I have three gaping holes in my new exhaust system.

Can you point me in the right direction for a solution and/or suitable replacement parts?

Thanks so much!

Greg'
GLipscomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th May 2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

I don't think there are any plug in replacement sensors, but there will be O2 sensors which fit that you can splice onto the original connectors.

I don't have much experience with the NA decats so may be better if somebody who has offers support.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1997, e-jza80-alfsf, j-spec, lsd, sz-r