J4CK50N
interested observer!

Jap Spec RZ - Manual (TT)
Send a message via MSN to J4CK50N
Wink

Hi people

Firstly festive tidings!!!!

Secondly, I need help - big time!!

My car decided to set itself on fire today in the car park at work. Got a call to say my car was smoking!!! Came out to find flames coming out of the drivers side wheel arch!!!

Luckily had a fire extinguisher and managed to put it out hopefully before too much damage has been done and then disconnected the battery.

The car is a 6speed TT Dec 1993 model.

All of the wiring in and around the drivers side wing seems to be knackered. Will try and post pics tonight. This seems to be where the fire started.

As you can imagine I am a little peeved but also relieved as the situation could have been a whole lot worse as I had just filled that bad boy to the brim with Optimax!!!

What I now need to know, and would greatly appreciate your help with is a rough estimate as to how much it is going to cost to fix the wiring. It literally just seems to be in and around that wing. The fire brigade seem to think it wont cost that much, but they are paid to put out fires and not re-wire cars so I'm not gonna get my hopes up!!! Best and worse case scenarios are all welcome.

Also does anybody know of a good person to carry out this work within the west yorkshire area?

Sorry for the long winded post. Still a little shaken up!

Cheers

J4CK50N

Supra TT6 - RSR exhaust, HKS FMIC, Oil relocation & cooler, Cusco Strut brace, Toyota Skirts + Spats, Do Luck Front Bumper, 18\" Hi Joins, Greddy Oil Temp, Pressure & Boost Gauges
J4CK50N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

This is a bit odd, never heard of a wiring fire on a MKIV.

Was this the loom above the wheel arch liner inside the driverside wing ?

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th December 2004, 09:48 PM   #3
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual

You know i keep thinking about this and its bugging me as i've never heard of a MKIV catching fire particularly due to wiring.

Have you had the car long ?

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

Old 20th December 2004, 10:33 PM   #4
J4CK50N
interested observer!

had it a few months mate. ?No probs whatsoever.

Had been to fill up with motion lotion and parked back up. ?Had been inside about 15-20 mins

It is the wiring that comes out of the relay box on the drivers side wing

And just to add insult to injury when the car came off the back of the tow truck the front spoiler was smashed into pieces

This is a problem that I will be taking up with the guys boss tomorrow

Supra TT6 - RSR exhaust, HKS FMIC, Oil relocation & cooler, Cusco Strut brace, Toyota Skirts + Spats, Do Luck Front Bumper, 18\" Hi Joins, Greddy Oil Temp, Pressure & Boost Gauges
Old 20th December 2004, 10:44 PM   #5
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual

That is the engine bay wiring loom which is ?1,426 from Mr Toyota (see here http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/cgi-bin....t=297).

It is possible to repair a loom depending on the extent of the damage and the competence of the auto-electrician. Probably want to start looking around for auto-electricians who deal with restorations, as a guy who can make looms up from scratch will be pretty competent.

However you really need to find out what went wrong. As i'm assuming something has shorted which has caused the wires to get hot and melt their insulation and start a small fire. What caused the short in the first place? Why didn't a fuse blow? etc.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

Old 20th December 2004, 11:03 PM   #6
chiefgroover

Single Turbo - Manual

If you lucky it may be possible to replace the damaged bit only if you can get a breaker who will give you an engine bay loom cut pretty reasonable. Cant see the breakers selling many looms, never known wiring to be a problem. Sould just be a case of soldering and heat shrinking the wires you need in? I'd give it a go anyways.
Good luck !
Old 20th December 2004, 11:10 PM   #7
J4CK50N
interested observer!

Once again, thanks guys. I will post some pictures tomorrow when I get chance.

I am pretty peeved off right now especially with the front spoiler knackered as well.

Not really wanting to think about it too much. Might take it off the road for a bit and wait for the better weather. In fairness I think it is only a small section of wire that has been ruined. However i will be looking for an autoelectrician to find out what caused it in the first place!!!

Any other comments greatly appreciated!

Old 20th December 2004, 11:12 PM   #8
J4CK50N
interested observer!

Also I would have thought that since the car was off, nothing should have been on should it?

Old 20th December 2004, 11:15 PM   #9
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual

Some circuits are still live even when the ignition is off. One of the feeds to the alternator is near that relay box IIRC which is a wire that tends to be live all the time. Maybe alternator shorted out for some reason.

Be good if you can get some pics as it would help a bit.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

Old 20th December 2004, 11:22 PM   #10
J4CK50N
interested observer!

Martin

Your a star. ?Just someone listening and giving advice, asking questions makes me feel better - this goes for everyone!!!

I will post some pics 2moz when I get back from work.

Cheers

J4CK50N