MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 8th July 2004, 11:11 PM   #1
B6AVE

Send a message via MSN to B6AVE

Hello all,

I am an old hand in the modding world but a total virgin to the supra. Ive a standard TT auto import an would like to know what the best Induction kit is for my money and any other types of advice on exhausts, turbo boosts etc.
toyota supra GZ TARGA TT jap Greddy titanium exhaust, envy decatted, apexi safc 2, TRD fuelcut defender, blitz induction kit, uk spec brakes and wheels, resprayed in cosmos blue, oyster leather retrim, custom ice install, personal plate B6 AVE aka BE AVE
B6AVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 12:22 AM   #2
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

As a starting point i'd probably leave the intake side alone and look at removing the cats first. Cat removal pipes can be bought for approx ?300 and once fitted your car will be a totally different animal.

On a Jap spec car when you remove the CATs you need to keep an eye on the boost level and make sure you don't over do it so a boost gauge would be a good idea. You can restrict the boost level initially by fitting a restrictor ring in one of the CAT removal pipes. Also a freer flowing exhaust system will help release a few more ponies and make the car sound like it should.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 11:19 AM   #3
B6AVE

Ive been looking at getting a full exhaust catback system for the supra in 3inch all the way, would I still need to keep an eye on the turbo boost then. I should get sum gauges soon, do I need 2, one for each turbo or just one main boost gauge.
toyota supra GZ TARGA TT jap Greddy titanium exhaust, envy decatted, apexi safc 2, TRD fuelcut defender, blitz induction kit, uk spec brakes and wheels, resprayed in cosmos blue, oyster leather retrim, custom ice install, personal plate B6 AVE aka BE AVE
Old 9th July 2004, 12:12 PM   #4
alex h
Old Timer

Usually a 2.5" decat with a 3"cat back can just about keep boost under control, but even then you sometimes need a restrictor plate as the stock wastegate on a j-spec can't control the boost with a free flowing exhaust.

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2004, 12:41 PM   #5
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual

You only need one boost gauge.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

Old 9th July 2004, 03:16 PM   #6
chiefgroover

Single Turbo - Manual

Intake kits..........why suck hot engine bay air into your engine?, try a good panel filter, like TRD or Blitz. Make sure you hear an exhaust in operation on a Supra before buying, regardless of brand as you will have to listen to it, they vary greatly. If your car had 16" wheels as standard first mod is the bigger 17" oe brakes , as point to point you will be a lot quicker ( and safer).
Old 10th July 2004, 01:11 PM   #7
B6AVE

hello chiefgroover. Is that what youve done and just upgraded the panel filter, I didnt think that the gains from that were as good as getting a full induction kit, and with regards to the hot air cant you always get a heat shield and and have a cold feed right next to the filter. Would be interestin to know if youve gained more from just changing the panel filter in performance as you would from changing to a full induction kit. Also how much do the bigger disks cost and can you keep the original calipers.

Cheers Michael
Old 10th July 2004, 04:46 PM   #8
chiefgroover

Single Turbo - Manual

Have rolling roaded both the panel and intake kit, and on my car the power output was almost identical on a cold day and the panel filter won on a hot day. The intake kits are noisey, boy racer noisey, not my sceen but maybe yours? Induction kits work great on some cars, just not on a BPU supra from my experience. (if fitting a big single turbo etc the intake kit is the only was i know of). No doubt I have opened a can of worms from posting my finding for the "I have something contrary to say brigade" just watch the replies this gets from sellers of such kits. I have yet to hear a fishmonger shout "stale herrings" lol.
AS for the discs it goes without saying that you fit the calipers too. I am unaware of anyone ever doing discs only, but i apologise for forgetting to be detailed as you are a "virgin" in the Supra and possibly tuning world.
You ought to ask Chris Wilson his opinion on your first power upgrades especially intake kits and de cats. He is highly respected by all of the members of this web site to whom I have spoken. His phone number is 01948-841581 office hours. The trick with a Supra is not to waste money on stuff that makes little difference. I am very happy with the CW de-cat / super dragger combination, panel filter and Blitz sbc ID boost controller, which is a very easy to use boost controller with every feature I could ask for and will give you excellent power gains. You might hit lucky and find a member braking a UK spec to get the brake calipers, and then buy yourself new toyota discs and pads and bed them in slowly for a few hundred miles.
you will see the power output the engine mods gave me on a dyno sheet elsewhere on this site which was unbelieved until posted. You car being Jap will prob be IRO 30 bhp less?. OH yes and the Super dragger sounds so sweet which is nice when its a proven horsepower master.
Old 10th July 2004, 05:01 PM   #9
alex h
Old Timer

Can't agree more with what chief has said. Cotton Panel filter, CW decat, Super Drager or Blitz Nur, UK Discs/calipers/pads. I'd also add an HKS SQV as I love the noise this BOV makes - but it's not to everyone's taste and it doesn't actually add anything to the car in BPU form.

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2004, 05:11 PM   #10
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual

Just to add to them two posts, imagine how much money went into the R&D of the Toyota air box and filter system, then imagine how much R&D went into a K&N, Blitz or HKS induction system.

Thats not to say that induction kits don't have their place, its just the advantages on a BPU car are not all they are hyped up to be. Remember heat is a killer to a forced induction engine.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs