MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Performance Electronics
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Performance Electronics ECU's, FCD's, Piggy Backs, Boost Controllers and all those other performance related gizzmos

Old 20th November 2008, 11:29 PM   #1
leadfootlen

Jap Spec GZ - Auto (TT)
Default Battery Draining/Alarm Rewiring

Hi All,

Ive had a problem with my Supra for a while and was wondering if anybody may have some advice.

I have a clifford alarm fitted and have noticed for some time that the battery seems to be draining very quickly. If im away for a week the car wont start when I return. The battery was replaced a few months ago and its still doing the same thing. I have noticed the alarm has 2 wires going onto the positive battery connecter with an inline fuse in each. I have taken the fuses out and the battery doesnt drain so im guessing it must be the alarm draining it.

I was thinkint to reconnect the alarm to an ignition feed so it will only be draining the curretn (charging its batter I assume) when the ignition is on. The alarm battery when not connected to the main battery seems to last a long time so im hoping that only charging it when I drive it should be enough to keep it topped up.

Does this sound like a do-able idea or am i overlooking something? Also any ideas where I can find a good ignition live feed to attach the alarm to?

Many thanks for any help

Cheers,

James
Old 21st November 2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

I wouldn't do that, as the two wires are most likely connected to the permanent live of the battery for a good reason. Most alarms need permanent power as well as switched power.

You've done some good elimination so far, and the only thing further you could do is to measure the current being drawn by the alarm to see if it is indeed excessive. However I suspect from what you have done already it probably will be.

I think the best thing to do would be to speak to an authorised Clifford engineer and ask him to take a look for you. It may be that part of the alarm has gone faulty.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 05:50 PM   #3
SUNNY TT

UK Spec - Auto

Hi,

I had this problem a couple of years ago. Check how long ago the alarm was installed. In my case the clifford engineer said that the Siren has a battery in it so the alarm continues to sound if someone chops the wire after it has gone off. After a period of time (i think it had been installed for about 5 years in my car at that time) the battery inside gets knackered and cannot hold its charge and so it constantly trys to recharge, which is why the car battery drains.

He advised me that when you set the alarm (or disable it) you should hear a 'chirp' frim the siren. If you dont then the siren may need to be replaced.

Since the siren was replaced I have had no problems.
SUNNY TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2008, 08:10 PM   #4
Cass
Beer and more Beer

Single Turbo - Auto
Send a message via MSN to Cass

I was going to say does the siren work as if it does not work the car may be alarming without you hearing it which would be draining the battery?

Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd November 2008, 02:20 AM   #5
chiefgroover

Single Turbo - Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUNNY TT View Post
Hi,

I had this problem a couple of years ago. Check how long ago the alarm was installed. In my case the clifford engineer said that the Siren has a battery in it so the alarm continues to sound if someone chops the wire after it has gone off. After a period of time (i think it had been installed for about 5 years in my car at that time) the battery inside gets knackered and cannot hold its charge and so it constantly trys to recharge, which is why the car battery drains.

He advised me that when you set the alarm (or disable it) you should hear a 'chirp' frim the siren. If you dont then the siren may need to be replaced.

Since the siren was replaced I have had no problems.
Good info