MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 15th June 2008, 07:50 PM   #1
Mustdriveslower

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.
Default Insurance - cover for track days

Hi Everyone,

Jason here, your insurance scheme bloke.

For years we have been asked for track day cover (TDC) and for years we have been saying "if only we could". Well 6 months or so ago we got it. And so far we have sold hardly any. And I wondered why.

My post here is to find out how many of you do track days, how many of you take out or have TDC with your current insurer. Again I'd like to pick you collective brains to get into whether there is real need for this or is it just hype. Also what were your experiences. Was it scary and badly organised? Or was it a breeze? Dish the dirt or heap the praise.

I go on about 15 to 20 TD per year but these are for motorbikes and are different to cars. Athough there are different risks with bikes I think that car TD are far more dangerous. What say you?

If any of you are interested I can let you know details and also inform you of some interesting facts about TDC and the various exclusions on some policies!

Anyway, please chat amongst yourselves and let me find out the answers to my dilemas above.

And thank you everyone for making me so welcome.

Higos Insurance Services
01935 706258

http://www.higos.com/schemes/supra/

http://www.youtube.com/user/mustdriv.../4/FGHUSmPxd_w
Mustdriveslower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 08:00 PM   #2
UltraFlynn
[52.4 Miles] 50 MC 8:41

I'm far to scared about damaging my car or over-stressing a 14 year old component to go near a track.
UltraFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2008, 08:38 PM   #3
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual

I've taken out my insurance with you Jason and I was considering this option. However like Flynn said, I'm too scared to take my car onto the track. Firstly I have no track experience and secondly I wouldn't trust other people on the track. I do however think this is a great service and I know quite a few people on other forums that love track days.
Old 15th June 2008, 09:57 PM   #4
The Restorer
Super Moderator

UK Spec - Auto
Send a message via MSN to The Restorer Send a message via Skype™ to The Restorer

The only track day I did in my car was Bruntingthorpe and after asking around decided the risk on an airfield was too small to warrant specific insurance.

Quote:
Those who speak most of progress measure it by quantity and not by quality.
- George Santayana
89 Corolla 1.3 ---> 96 306 1.9TD ---> 94 Corolla 1.3 ---> 94 UK Supra (RIP) ---> 53 E46 M3 SMG II

The Restorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 06:05 AM   #5
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Whilst the Livingstones track day insurance scheme is one of the best going, I like a few others here, fear for my P+J too much to put it near a track.

However if it were a dedicated MSOC track day I might well consider otherwise, and I would be looking no further than Livingstones for insurance cover if I did.

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE

Last edited by Barney; 16th June 2008 at 06:07 AM.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 09:34 AM   #6
Angry Koala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Whilst the Livingstones track day insurance scheme is one of the best going, I like a few others here, fear for my P+J too much to put it near a track.

However if it were a dedicated MSOC track day I might well consider otherwise, and I would be looking no further than Livingstones for insurance cover if I did.
Couldn't agree more Barney. My main concern would be the limitations of the other people on track at the same time. I'm not professing to being some sort of driving god but I do have some experience of driving with no speed limits and I know my limits in these situtations and I stick to them. The red mist that occurs with other drivers who suddenly have no police to answer to, no thought of points or fines etc and who quite honestly in some cases couldn't get a trolley round Tesco without crashing is the reason I won't go on an open track day.

Being into bike racing like you Jason, it's the same sort of red mist that seems to descend on the first meeting of the season when the sun has come out, the track's dry and warm and everyone thinks that suddenly they can go as fast as they like and they'll never come off!

On the other hand an MSOC only track day with these guys, all of whom I know I can trust, where everyone is giving everyone else room and the main reason for being there is simply to be able to use the car as it was designed to be driven (which is impossible without being very naughty on public roads) would be something I'd be more than interested in (possibly combined with the summer meet?).
Angry Koala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2008, 09:59 AM   #7
Mustdriveslower

Hi Guys,

I could not help but smile with Angry Koala's description of the opening sessions on track So true! (And thanks too Kev O for doing your insurance with me).

Sorry for the mental picture I am going to conjure up for you but read on.

I am 51 fat and out of condition so much so that my so called "friends" that I go to TD's with have nicknamed me "Billy" (for puffing Billy as I am so knackered after a 20 min session I have to sit in a corner of the pit garage and nearly die for lack of breath!). BUT in my head I CAN beat Rossi in those first couple of sessions. Dangerous or what!

Not a truer word has been spoken AK about red mist and skill levels!!

I once was at Valencia with a company called racedays who cater for the serious racers (oh why did I go) and as there was a MotoGP event in two weeks time at Valencia there were a number of proper race teams getting in a bit of crafty track knowledge time too.

Have you ever really been frightened to near bowl evacuation stage? Try this: I am at 100% effort level canted over at 120 mph over a blind summit just about to click fourth with that little flutter of fear asking "will the back end step out when I clunk next gear up? With your heart in your throat thinking "Of course not I am so on the pace here I am kool". Then the next moment being brought back to reality as you are over taken and under taken at the same time by two professional riders who are racing one another. How on earth they missed me the "mobile chicane" I don't know, but the point of dangerous TD is well made in my mind! There are safe TD's and there are not - make sure you go on safe ones!

However organised club TD's are the other end of the spectrum and that is where our TD cover comes in as it ONLY cover club sanctioned events. recipe for disaster averted I hope!

Would the club be interested in organising some club events?

Jason

Higos Insurance Services
01935 706258

Last edited by Mustdriveslower; 16th June 2008 at 02:36 PM.
Old 16th June 2008, 04:46 PM   #8
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual

I'd have to agree with Barney and Mr Koala and say that I would be very interested in a MSOC track day for exactly the same reasons as they have stated. (Oh and thanks for the mental picture Jason )
Old 16th June 2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Mustdriveslower

This is NOT me - honest but I came across it and did feel a lot better about my own girth......

http://www.visordown.com/articles/vi...l&attr=caption

Higos Insurance Services
01935 706258

Old 16th June 2008, 06:15 PM   #10
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustdriveslower View Post
This is NOT me - honest but I came across it and did feel a lot better about my own girth......

http://www.visordown.com/articles/vi...l&attr=caption
I know it's not you as he's my dad . How did that picture leak out.