MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 11th August 2004, 11:39 AM   #1

Hello everyone.

I current have an FTO GPX MIVEC and love it to bits, however I have always fancied a Supra. Only trouble is I dont have a clue what Supra is best etc or know much about them at the moment.

When I bought my FTO I went to see it and bought it straight away....turned out there was a few problems with it so I dont want to make the same mistake with a Supra. Dont get me wrong the FTO is amazing and the sound of the MIVEC in unforgettable!

So what spec supra is best? Bare in mind I am 23 (24 this year) and need an insurance friendly Supra...understand UK is better for insurance than Jap spec.?
I currently pay ?1600 for my FTO insurance so anything less is a bonus!!!

Thanks for any info!!!!!
Old 11th August 2004, 11:54 AM   #2
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Good place to start is the FAQ here http://www.mkivsupra.co.uk/FAQ/New%20Buyer%20FAQ.htm

After that then i'm sure you'll come back with even more questions.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2004, 12:08 PM   #3

Thanks!
Answered a lot of my questions already.

I have an Auto at the moment but I have heard that the Supra's auto box is more or less bullett proof...is there any truth in this?
The FTO auto box is quite touchy and I have not had a great experience with it but like the whole lazy driving thing
Old 11th August 2004, 12:17 PM   #4
EmmaG
Old Timer

UK Spec - Manual

Hi and
EmmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2004, 12:20 PM   #5
UK Supra TT

As far as I know the Auto box is strong upto around 600bhp or maybe more, then you need to upgrade. I think the 6 speeds are stronger and can take more but are you going to stay Bpu or go higher? If your not looking to ever go single turbo the Auto box will be just fine. I have the 6 speed but a lot of people prefer the Auto, especially round town where the gearbox can be a bit clunky?

The auto is faster in a straight line, and the manual is quickest round corners.

HTH,

Paul
UK Supra TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2004, 12:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (UK Supra TT @ Aug. 11 2004,13:20)]The auto is faster in a straight line, and the manual is quickest round corners.
Like the sound of that!
Just need to sort out funding now me thinks. What sort of price should I be aiming for....dont really want a heavily modified one (thats half the fun&#33 and an Auto (UK spec for insurance) and fairly low mileage. Would pref. like a black one

Thanks!!
Old 11th August 2004, 01:10 PM   #7
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Lets just say with that spec in mind, it will take longer to find a suitable car than sort the funding

UK spec cars are quite rare, however by preferring the Auto option you stand a better chance than if you were looking for a manual. I'm not going to say too much on price as these seem to vary anywhere from 8k to 16k.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2004, 02:17 PM   #8
UK Supra TT

All the UK specs i've seen have been around the ?15k mark, you can get them for cheaper than that but IMHO it might not be as nice. I know of a manual for sale at ?10k with 130k miles, allways serviced and kept maintained 100%. The guy has owned it for around 7 years. He bought it when it was 3 year old, is a M reg and is purple! It's a 6 speed and the mileage is from travelling to France and back 3 times a year. He's recently bought a Audi RS6 due to family commitments and wants a quick sale. It needs a new compressor for the air con and he's just paid ?500 for a new one, it has FSH also.

Fancy it? His names Kaleel and he's a great chap from my way, Newcastle

Paul
Old 11th August 2004, 02:46 PM   #9
EmmaG
Old Timer

UK Spec - Manual

I agree with Paul, Kaleel is a top bloke, the last time I saw his car it was in very good condition and obviously well looked after.
EmmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th August 2004, 02:51 PM   #10
UK Supra TT

He hasn?t advertised it for sale yet but he only wants ?10k for it, that?s a great price and it?s owned by a owner who has loved it. Anyone wanting to buy a UK Spec 6 speed you can?t go wrong with this. Contact me if you want his number. It has 130k miles but is well looked after and there travelling miles, these engines go over 200k easily though anyway. It?s a bargain!