MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Members Projects Follow the progress of our members projects.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 23rd September 2008, 10:03 PM   #1
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual
Default My Custom Boot Build

I've always wanted to design and build my own boot build for the supra. My criteria was:

+ had to be as OEM looking as possible
+ as stealth as possible
+ as practical as possible.

I spent alot of time looking around the internet and working out how I was going to mount the sub and still maintain the boot blind.

Although fibreglass seemed to be a popular choice I'd prefer to stick to MDF This way was messy enough but if I would've went down the fibreglass route, I'd still be doing it now!

This isn't a step by step on how to do it, more of a 'behind the scenes' look at what I done. I don't confess to being an expert so the following pictures aren't that great

The hardest part of the job was the fact that most measurement and positions relied upto another measurement which relied upon another measurement (you get the idea). This meant that most of the MDF had to be test fitted before finally fitting it into place.

The first place to start was the sub. The base was fairly straight forward:

As the sub box needed to be air tight I needed to box around the relevant parts and cables:

I originally had a CD multichanger in the boot which I wanted to keep and tuck away somewhere. As you can see in the picture below I opted for the driver's side of the car as that's the side of the car I ran the non voltage cables down. I wanted to make full use of all the space and realised the strut mounts were always going to be in the way so I had to fit my gear above it:

Here you can see the batten which is where the front of the box is going to fit. This had to be the right angle so the sub magnet wouldn't hit the back of the box, but the wood would fit under the rear seat part:

Front plate made:

Drilling the hole for the sub took ages to work out as too low and the sub would sit under the next part of the wood, too high and it wouldn't be covered by the blind:

Another picture. You can also see the expandable foam at the bottom, helping to keep it air tight: