MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 9th April 2009, 03:22 PM   #1
Supramadlee
Young and impressionable

Jap Spec SZ - Auto (NA)
Unhappy Head gasket Woes - what a dilemma

Hey Guys, My indestructable head gasket (as i knew them ) on my n/a Supra has decided to Perish, After noticing a trickle of water forming down the side of my engine i thought i'd better check it out with the local garage and have since informed me that the head gasket is gone, and will prob need my rad replacing or re conditioning due to the pressure build up. Been quoted bout £800-£1000 subject to additional finds, which i could of stomached but he has informed me that if the block is rusted by the head and a new gasket put in place it could do it all over again, SO im in a real dilemma of what to do, Whether to get it done and risk it happening all over again, or sell it off cheap with the fault in hand or to strip it and hope for the best ( or leave it unlocked on my drive and hope someone takes it ) ha ha. Has anyone heard of them getting so rusted, can they go again quick.?? Its only worth about 3k done, and is a pretty clean car and just had new rear discs and pads all round, and a recon'd rear calliper, but dont think its worth throwing a new engine in to it.
Supramadlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 03:31 PM   #2
UltraFlynn
[52.4 Miles] 50 MC 8:41

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.

You'd be surprised how much complete NA engines sell for. Last time I saw one it was about 400 quid.

UltraFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 03:49 PM   #3
Cass
Beer and more Beer

Single Turbo - Auto
Send a message via MSN to Cass

I just recently bought a low milage engine for a 2.5 Turbo Skyline GTST and it was in the same figures as your repair quote. Shop about and have a look at prices first before you comit to anything.

Good luck and i hope you resolve your drama so you can make use of the Summer

Cass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2009, 03:55 PM   #4
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supramadlee View Post
but he has informed me that if the block is rusted by the head and a new gasket put in place it could do it all over again,
Not if they fix it properly the first time.

It is possible there has been some sort of reaction on the face of the block or the head if the gasket has been leaking for a long time. 'If' that is the case then as part of the repair the deck of the head or block should be cleaned up before even thinking about bolting it back together. If the damage is really bad then it will need to be skimmed and a slightly thicker head gasket fitted.

I think the price they are quoting you for the job is reasonable, if they are going to do a good diligent job. If they are just going to take the head off slap another gasket on, bolt it all back and send you on your way then it's a rip off.

It's unusual for headgaskets to go on our cars, and even less so on an NA or in such a way that water is dripping down the outside of the block. Do you think it may be prudent to get a second opinion?

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote