MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Members Projects Follow the progress of our members projects.

Old 9th July 2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Mike_Mac

Jap Spec RZ - Auto (TT)
Default Reviving my Supra

With the amount of work I now need to do to my Supra I though I'd keep a record here (more for me to remind me of what's actually been done so far )

The immediate jobs to do are:

1. Replace Engine. A used J-Spec TT should be arriving on Wed and I will be crawling all over it before it goes anywhere near my Car...
2. Replace Dash Panels. New set arrived a week ago so I'm itching to get rid of my old scratched ones.
3. Rewire dash. Not happy with current speedo converter's install and I have a UK dial face to fit too. There will also be a new head-unit going in when I have the funds.
4. Fog Lights. Install UK rear fog switch on dash and wire the blown bulb indicator as a fog light telltale.
5. Strip and Clean Interior. Carpet, seats, trim. All coming out and getting scrubbed.

Curently I am focusing on jobs 2 and 3. I've sorted out the wiring for my speedo converter. Most of the connections were just bare wires wrapped together with insulation tape!! How it's gone so long with no problems I don't know. There was also no speed signal going to the power steering, so it will probably be a lot heavier at speed now! The rattle behind the dash has also been explained, as the two alarm modules have just been stuffed loose behind the radio and were free to move.

It's taken most of this weekend, but all the wires have connectors on them (ready for when I install a TSD-DSC ), all the looms are secured and silenced and about 2m of useless wire has been removed, as well as the Jap radio taking up both of my DIN slots. THe UK face is on and looking good and everything works properly (except the engine - it's still knackered ), so I'm quite pleased so far. All I need to do is buy a new headunit when I have the dosh and it can all go back together and should look brand new.

Piccies and further updates will follow when the weather lets up!

Last edited by Mike_Mac; 18th March 2009 at 06:20 PM.
Mike_Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 03:20 PM   #2
UltraFlynn
[52.4 Miles] 50 MC 8:41

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.

What are you doing with your old dash panels?

Are you sure you didn't buy your car off the same guy that I did? Because those electrical horrors sound really familiar...

Last edited by UltraFlynn; 9th July 2007 at 03:24 PM.
UltraFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2007, 03:22 PM   #3
baz
stella monster

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.
Send a message via MSN to baz

must be the j-specs. lol

hope everything goes to plan fella.
Old 9th July 2007, 06:03 PM   #4
Mike_Mac

Jap Spec RZ - Auto (TT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
What are you doing with your old dash panels?

Are you sure you didn't buy your car off the same guy that I did? Because those electrical horrors sound really familiar...
Bollocks - Sorry mate - I've already sold them - I've been having a massive clear-out to raise some cash.

The complete set new was only £230 though. Compared to Mr T's prices that's a massive saving - and they're much better quality than the soft touch rubber J-Specs usually have. Beyond that I know a few scrappies down here that are off the track a bit - they might have a set going. I can ask if you'd like?

If the bloke that did your conversion was in Wales then yes - it was the same bloke, as that was where mine first came over. I feel like someone who's taken in a rescue dog with incontinence. You love it and want to give it a better life after previous neglect, but it keeps having little accidents everywhere!
Old 9th July 2007, 06:04 PM   #5
Mike_Mac

Jap Spec RZ - Auto (TT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
must be the j-specs. lol

hope everything goes to plan fella.
Cheers Baz - and happy Birthday BTW!!
Old 9th July 2007, 10:08 PM   #6
RobSheffield

Single Turbo - Manual

Sounds a good project matey
Old 10th July 2007, 05:49 AM   #7
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Best wishes with progress Mike, sounds like you have your work cut out.

What's wrong with your engine (apart from being knackered) did I miss something?

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 12:29 PM   #8
Mike_Mac

Jap Spec RZ - Auto (TT)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney View Post
Best wishes with progress Mike, sounds like you have your work cut out.

What's wrong with your engine (apart from being knackered) did I miss something?

The Oil Pump's completely knackered and has blown the front main seal. It's more than likely that the wear on the pump is reflected deeper in the engine. It may be ok and certainly runs ok, but the odds are really against it being healthy without a full strip-down and rebuild.

For the time involved getting it out and stripped for inspection I may as well get a good used engine in there and then sell mine to someone with the time to check it out thoroughly (or turn it into a shiny living room ornament!).
Hence an import 30K mile engine should be on my doorstep tomorrow and while the mechanic does the engine I'm doing the interior.

I haven't decided what to do with my turbos though, as I've just paid £950 for them. I'll probably strip out the new engine's ones and bung mine on, so if anyone's looking for a 30k mile set of tubbies then let me know.
Old 10th July 2007, 01:25 PM   #9
Cuthbert
Old Timer

UK Spec - Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Mac View Post
I haven't decided what to do with my turbos though, as I've just paid £950 for them.
Keep 'em handy mate, eventually someone will need a new pair & with only 30k on yours I reckon you'll get a decent price for them.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 05:51 PM   #10
Mike_Mac

Jap Spec RZ - Auto (TT)

A slight problem has come up that I could do with some advice on.

The engine turned up today, but was a bare engine (not as pictured on the advert). It seems fine after taking off the cam-covers and checking the top end, but I was annoyed that I thought I was getting a complete engine.

I have contacted the seller, who put it down to a mistake in the advert and offered a full refund. There is another bare engine for £750 in TCB in Cornwall on an exchange basis, which I will be going to have a look at tomorrow probably.

My question is: Is £1150 a reasonable price for a bare TT engine, considering I can sell my engine on still, or too much? I don't want to throw away a reasonably priced engine (with a three month warranty) just because I thought I was getting a bargain, but I also don't want to be ripped off.