MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > Members Projects
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Members Projects Follow the progress of our members projects.

Old 5th August 2008, 08:21 PM   #1
UltraFlynn
[52.4 Miles] 50 MC 8:41

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.
Cool In pursuit of perfection

Here's the spec of my new Supra:

Must have:
- late 1998 car (facelift)
- SZ-R 6-Speed Manual (the 6-speed is very important)
- Black paintwork (in the best condition possible)
- No modifications (consider cat back exhaust, definitely not lowered or bodykitted)
- Low mileage, best auction grade, newest possible registration and full service history
- Standard wheels, 16s or 17s. I don't mind. They must be in excellent condition though.
- OEM (plastic) skirts and spats
- Rear spoiler

Nice to have:
- Big brakes
- Active Spoiler

My personal favourite car importer (a fella who goes by the name of Jurgen) is now on the case and is actively trying to locate the closest possible car to my spec.

Once he finds the car and we manage to buy her, it'll take at least 12 weeks until I take receipt of the car but I truly believe it will be worth the wait.

Last edited by UltraFlynn; 6th August 2008 at 07:02 AM.
UltraFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2008, 08:29 PM   #2
UltraFlynn

So why would I consider a "downgrade" from a TT to an NA.

Put simply, I should have bought the NA 3 years ago. I had always set out to buy one but then I actually drove a TT. And they are fast. Oh yes. Fast. So I pushed for a TT when really I knew that I'd never be able to really appreciate it. I also knew that for the budget I had I would not get a TT in as good a condition as an NA but then I just hoped I'd be lucky. In many ways I was. And in many others I wasn't.

Bear in mind that my car takes me on four trips a week of 4 miles to the train station. Never goes out at the weekend. Other than to be cleaned. The TT never ever got to stretch her legs and I'm afraid that I just don't drive that way. On the rare occasions that I used the power I was always conscious that the turbos were going to go pop. (Which they probably wouldn't have but then I am slightly paranoid )

So the NA was always the engine for me.

And why have I picked the spec listed above?

Because it's my perfect Supra. Simple really. Having had my silver GZ for 3 years I know now exactly what I want and this is it.

The change to a manual gearbox is also my need to do something a bit different, it's also make the most of the power the NA engine has and being the same unit as fitted to the TT it'll be strong as an ox.

In short I'm very happy with my decision.

Last edited by UltraFlynn; 6th August 2008 at 06:46 AM.
Old 5th August 2008, 09:48 PM   #3
Kev.O
Officially NOT in Wales!

UK Spec - Manual

I can see you've put alot of thought into this decision Flynn. I've always thought a black car would be better suited to your 'cleaning needs' than a silver one. Best of luck finding your dream car
Old 6th August 2008, 06:50 AM   #4
UltraFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev.O View Post
I can see you've put alot of thought into this decision Flynn. I've always thought a black car would be better suited to your 'cleaning needs' than a silver one. Best of luck finding your dream car
Selling my GZ was a big decision. I still havn't completely come to terms with the fact that it's not mine any more.

Another factor with my new car is that it's specced deliberately to take more power. With upgrades to the brakes and suspension it would be able to handle alot more power. That's another reason why the 6-speed box is very important.

I don't think I'd ever put a TT or single turbo engine in her, I'm keen to keep her NA, but a 4.7l Landcruiser V8 built by CW with ~500bhp ....... now that sounds fun.
Old 6th August 2008, 07:51 PM   #5
dunk shaw
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn View Post
Here's the spec of my new Supra:

Must have:
- No modifications (consider cat back exhaust, definitely not lowered or bodykitted)
- Low mileage, best auction grade, newest possible registration and full service history
- Standard wheels, 16s or 17s. I don't mind. They must be in excellent condition though.
- Rear spoiler

Nice to have:
- Big brakes
- Active Spoiler

My personal favourite car importer (a fella who goes by the name of Jurgen) is now on the case and is actively trying to locate the closest possible car to my spec.

Once he finds the car and we manage to buy her, it'll take at least 12 weeks until I take receipt of the car but I truly believe it will be worth the wait.
If Jurgen cant find it, its not out there, only ever heard good things about him, good luck on the hunt.
Old 6th August 2008, 08:01 PM   #6
UltraFlynn

The spec is evolving slowly, here's the latest one:

Must:
- No modifications (consider cat back exhaust, definitely not lowered or engine mods)
- Low mileage (hopefully under 50K), best auction grade, newest possible registration and full service history
- OEM rear spoiler or original TRD spoiler

Nice to have:
- Big brakes (with 17 inch OEM wheels)
- Ideally a standard OEM front bumper with Active Spoiler. Which was an option on SZ-R.
- Though I will consider a Do Luck, or Stillen front bumper but must be original, not fibreglass, perfectly painted and fitted, using the OEM fixings, with no blending into the wings and with no parts missing from the car due to its fitment.

Last edited by UltraFlynn; 6th August 2008 at 08:07 PM.
Old 6th August 2008, 08:03 PM   #7
UltraFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk shaw View Post
If Jurgen cant find it, its not out there, only ever heard good things about him, good luck on the hunt.
That's been my experience of him as well and he's the only importer I will trust. I know that the car will be the best that's possible and it wont have been mucked about with. i.e. clocked, bodged, hacked, etc.
Old 22nd August 2008, 07:55 PM   #8
UltraFlynn

Quick update:

As yet no progress on finding my car. I'd hoped to get something sorted within 3 weeks but still nothing has come up. Apparently black SZ-Rs are simply not coming up at auction or at dealers.
Old 26th August 2008, 01:22 PM   #9
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Quote:
I don't think I'd ever put a TT or single turbo engine in her, I'm keen to keep her NA, but a 4.7l Landcruiser V8 built by CW with ~500bhp ....... now that sounds fun.
Or a Lexus 4.0 V8 from the LS400, mines a 98 and I think is around 280bhp standard, not sure what the Thor Lexus engined Supra was.

Best of luck with your search Matt, hope the car of your dreams is in your garage real soon.

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE

Last edited by UltraFlynn; 26th August 2008 at 01:49 PM.
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th August 2008, 01:50 PM   #10
UltraFlynn

280bhp would not be enough if I did an engine swap. 500bhp sounds far more fun.

Thor car was running 300bhp.