MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 10th October 2004, 11:54 PM   #1
Jester_Race

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.
Hi

Thought id take my 1st step into the world of supra owners by firing off a few dumb questions... bare with me!

Ok so since playing the Playstation\3do(&#33 game Need For Speed back when i was like 15 or so, i have loved the Supra.. have books\videos about the fine car and i go WOW WOW WOW when i see one about (rare beast that they are around my way).... now i'm 22 and looking to actually buy one ? ?

At the moment i tear up the north wales b roads in my Saxo VTS (rickety french thing but quick! and no its not overly modded with plastic lol), and am now saving to buy a supra, so first heres some questions for you lucky lucky owners!

1) Manoverabilty - How good is the supras rear visibilty for reversing and whats the turning circle like?? (dont laugh ok.. if you lived on my street you'd understand&#33

2) Interior - Am i missing something\blind or is the supra a leather free car and without the nice deep racing seats found on some other cars?

3) Real world MPG, any good? (I dont generally commute by car but my Saxo doesnt do that well mpg wise with my driving lol)

4) Why would a UK spec car cost me ?1015 to insure while an import comes in at ?2.7k +++?

5) Parts\Servicing - Generally expensive?? I hear the car is A1 reliable but you never know!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Also trying to decide on manual or auto, i really fancy manual gears...
Jester_Race is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 07:22 AM   #2
alex h
Old Timer

Hi there,

1) Fairly manouverable...possibly more than you'd expect, but it is a large car!
2) Some are full leather, but you need to find the right spec. UK spec has it and so does the GZ Import. But usually the rear seats are a vinyl leather with cloth up front. They are not bucket seats, because the car is not a race car. It is a Grand Tourer not a sprinter (but it does pretty well at a sprint )
3) 9-28mpg depending on what you're doing to it.
4) Insurance companies enjoy screwing you over for daring to have an import. They believe they cost more to repair...
5) Parts and servicing are down to your dealer. If they are resonable then so will your costs be. But be under no illusions - your after a car that was worth ?40k+ and so some replacement parts will be expensive! A radiator is about ?400 from Toyota...

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 11:24 AM   #3
EmmaG
Old Timer

UK Spec - Manual

Hi and
EmmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th October 2004, 11:14 PM   #4
Cuthbert
Old Timer

UK Spec - Auto

Hi Jester race, welcome to the forum. Here are my views:
1. visibilty is good. i've heard some say it is poor but this is utter toss. sometimes you may need to lean forward to see the front of the bonnet or the front arches.
2.whilst not bucket seats, they are fairly supportive.
3. mpg, i don't know, but i'd budget around ?60-70 per week.
4.fact of life, imports are always more expensive to insure. sometimes there are subtle differences in body panels etc.. meaning parts need to be shipped from japan (i know through experience&#33
5.i'd say servicing is what you'd expect for this type of car, bearing in mind it's pretty cramped under the bonnet. when i had my cambelt done, the radiator had to come out as well.
as for the auto/manual question. well it just depends on your preference really. I have an auto, performance & economy aren't really that different, i guess it's just about being lazy in a way. Just mash the loud peddle for instant power & no need to reach for the gear stick.

Happy hunting.
Cuthbert is offline   Reply With Quote