MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Engine Tuning
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Engine Tuning All technical chat regarding the 2JZ

Old 21st November 2005, 09:07 PM   #1
supradupra

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.
Lightbulb

Please can anyone advise i recently blew my engine putting two big holes in either side. ?I have bought i second hand stock engine and am looking to get the engine built for a reliable 600bhp. ?The turbo i have is a single hks t51r with a large blitz fmic. ?What is the minimum required for the engine build at this bhp eg internals,gaskets, cams, plugs, valvetrain. How much further could you go on top of the minimum required?
Thanks
James
supradupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2005, 09:32 PM   #2
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

IMO i wouldn't do much more over the stock config of the engine. However as it's second hand and you may not know it's history i would advise removing the head and checking the bores, sealing surfaces, crank bearings, valve seats and stem seals etc. Replace the head bolts with ARP studs and use ARP studs for the conrod caps and leave everything else at stock.

If you knew the history of the engine and it was low mileage you could get away with not even doing that.

How come you blew your last engine, 2JZ is very strong.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 07:58 AM   #3
Barney
MSOC on winner's podium

UK Spec - Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Nov. 21 2005,21:32)]How come you blew your last engine, 2JZ is very strong.
Dito

Good luck with the rebuild BTW

PEOPLE SHOULD NOT BE AFRAID OF THEIR GOVERNMENTS. GOVERNMENTS SHOULD BE AFRAID OF THEIR PEOPLE
Barney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 08:30 AM   #4
supradupra

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Nov. 21 2005,21:32)]IMO i wouldn't do much more over the stock config of the engine. However as it's second hand and you may not know it's history i would advise removing the head and checking the bores, sealing surfaces, crank bearings, valve seats and stem seals etc. Replace the head bolts with ARP studs and use ARP studs for the conrod caps and leave everything else at stock.

If you knew the history of the engine and it was low mileage you could get away with not even doing that.

How come you blew your last engine, 2JZ is very strong.
Not sure really one minute i was bombing along and the next all i could see was white i thought i'd gone to heaven but soon found out it was more like hell! I don't know if it over boosted or the mixture was lean either way the conrod broke and put holes in the sides of the engine which i can now pick bits of the piston head out of.
I was thinking of putting forged pistons and conrods in along with a metal head gasket. Are there any i should avoid i was told the je are good. Or am i better off spending the money else where?
Thanks
james
supradupra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 09:38 AM   #5
B6AVE

Send a message via MSN to B6AVE

sounds like your gonna end up with a beast when its all done though mate. keep us all informed on how the project goes please
toyota supra GZ TARGA TT jap Greddy titanium exhaust, envy decatted, apexi safc 2, TRD fuelcut defender, blitz induction kit, uk spec brakes and wheels, resprayed in cosmos blue, oyster leather retrim, custom ice install, personal plate B6 AVE aka BE AVE
B6AVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 07:55 PM   #6
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (supradupra @ Nov. 22 2005,08:30)]I was thinking of putting forged pistons and conrods in along with a metal head gasket. Are there any i should avoid i was told the je are good. ?Or am i better off spending the money else where?
Well the stock conrods are forged and the head gasket is already metal (see here http://www.mkiv.com/specifications/n...93/ncf037.jpg)

So at the sort of power levels you are quoting your money would really be wasted.

You'd be better off trying to investigate what went wrong last time as you don't want to spend all that money on an engine only for it to go bang once on the road due to poor tuning.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2005, 09:19 PM   #7
mothy

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

Hi There supradupra

I have just had that exact procedure done to mine. I bought a jap spec with an unknown low milage, second hand, history engine in it. As Martin suggests I would check the "Whole" of the engine right through.
The reason I say this is because my valve stem seals were fadeing and I took it in for them to be replaced. Big does and little does, We found that the engine had, had a slight oil problem in the past and there was scouring on the crank bearing and in one or two other places. This would have definatly lead to further problems down the line.
I wanted what you want 600+ bhp so I decided to have all new internal parts fitted, carn't remember exactly but it's pretty much everything other than the con rods and block. forged pistons, new crank, bearings, cams, pullies etc etc. (I go pick it up tomorrow). I think to avoid any problems in the future it will be for the best. It's not a cheap do but it all depends on how big your pockets are for what you get done.

The company I used was based in S. Cheshire near where I live called ABP motorsport, who are very very good, very knowledgeable, and participate in motosport themselves. I have used them for the past 4 - 5 years as they tuned my clio 172. I know they liased a few times with HKS and took advice from them on certain issues, which if you are going down the route of engine rebuild then I would say get advice from a single manufacture i.e Greddy, HKS etc and keep all the parts with them as they will all fit and interact with each other as they have been designed to do rather than mixing and matching different manufactures just to save money.

Hope this may help, pm me if you want any more info.

Tim good luck!