MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 7th April 2008, 08:08 PM   #11
UltraFlynn
[52.4 Miles] 50 MC 8:41

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.

Thanks for your comments guys.

Yes. My Supra has been trusty. She's only let me down a couple of times and only once was it something even slightly mechanical. I truely do believe that 3 years ago for the 8 grand budget I had that I could not have got any better.

The one issue I've always had is that my car has always handled awfully. And to be honest I've had it in my power to fix that for a fair time now, I do actually have all the suspension components that I need to fix it. And therein lies the problem. I simply in the months and months of having those parts cannot seem to find the time to fit them. Time is the major issue. I'd really really love to spend whole weekends dovoted to the car to do the things I need to but my weekends are devoted to my family and I'm lucky if after a day at work that I can snatch and hour on the car in the evening a couple of times a week. Often I'm too tired to do that though. And once I start on something big it's weeks and weeks of spending hours every night and having to cycle to and from the station. If I were able to blat through the jobs fairly quickly then things might be different, but I can't.

On the topic of me missing the power of the TT. Yes, of course I will. Will I miss the constant concern that the sequential system is working correctly, and will my turbos blow up soon, and why doesn't my boost gauge work, etc, etc. No, I don't think I'd miss that.

The problem with 2002 NAs is that only the auto can be imported and that would not be my first choice of gearboxes for an NA. I really wanted the 6-speed.

As mentioned in the title this is a hard decision and it's not taken lightly. I've been contemplating it for ages now because of all the issues mentioned above.

I also have no clear idea what I can get next which I truely will be happy with.
UltraFlynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th April 2008, 08:29 PM   #12
Gambit
Old Timer

Jap Spec GZ - Auto Aerotop (TT)

Why not buy an old nail diesel runner and off the road the Supra. That would give you the chance to pick away at the faults as and when you get time.
I've been driving Kate's MR2 this weekend, sure it has the turn angle of a reliant robin, corners like a go-cart and is nippy in the low end. But it's just not the Supra; You don't get that smug "I'm the dogs" when you drive it, that "sure you can pull out of the side road, in-front of me" hospitality.

You say it's getting old and sure the interior doesn't have that chrome aluminium look that you get nowadays but what about on the outside?
What else looks that radical without going to a super car?

But those are my reasons not to get rid, you need to find your own; or get rid.

J-Spec
Twin Turbo Aerotop
3G Brakes
Blitz nur spec r
Full Stainless DC
Blitz Active Front Spoiler Controler
Greddy Boost + EXT Gauges
Running 1bar
OZ Superleggera
UK Spec Bonnet Scoop
UK Glass Headlamps
Mines ECU
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 07:10 AM   #13
UltraFlynn

On the subject of getting an old run-about car ..... if I did that I honestly would never ever drive the Supra. It would be in bits all the time, I'd never want to take it to the station car-park. I'd (at most) use it 3 or 4 times a year.
Old 8th April 2008, 07:38 AM   #14
UltraFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-S14A View Post
I would have a word with Paul Whiffin.
His cars are sooooo expensive...
Old 8th April 2008, 08:07 AM   #15
dunk shaw
Old Timer

Good luck with whatever you decide to do matt, personally i'd get something totally differant, i definetly wouldnt want an na after having a bpu'd tt
Old 8th April 2008, 11:39 AM   #16
Sharpie

UK Spec - Auto

Can you not save up and pay someone to sort out the issues ? If you already have the parts, it's just the labour rate - right ?
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2008, 11:52 AM   #17
UltraFlynn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie View Post
Can you not save up and pay someone to sort out the issues ? If you already have the parts, it's just the labour rate - right ?
That's a good question. The short answer is yes, I probably could, and it would be relatively cheap thing to do.

Can't really answer why I wont do that, suffice to say that the car has caused more than just financial issues over the past three years and changing it will improve my quality of life considerably.
Old 8th April 2008, 06:23 PM   #18
philness

Jap Spec GZ - Auto (TT)

Hi guys my son sold his non tubo last sat ,only got £3000 for it. My sup has only done 300 miles since november I dont no whether to sell or not.you do now have to think about the cost nowaday when you go out in it so my wife seys.................................Phil.
philness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 09:27 PM   #19
~Rob~
Old Timer

One of thie things Ive noticed since changing my car is that, although there are issues with the civic, they dont bother me anywhere near as much. With the Supra I strived to attain perfection, but could never just quite reach it. With the civic, I just attempt to keep it maintained and clean. I still feel as enthusiasitc, and still take significant pride in keeping the car clean etc, but dont feel as gutted when a bird turds on it, or I get a new stone chip. For example, Ive developed some kind of knock from the front suspension, and I know it needs sorting but if it was the Supra I would feel I had to get it sorted, quick. With this it can take a back seat for a while.

I do miss the Supra, especially now its getting nicer / lighter weather now. Mainly due to the pace and fun of the car. I am really glad I didnt go for a diesel though, as I think Id have been really bored!

Its a tough decision..

My Old Car
~Rob~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2008, 10:42 PM   #20
Gambit
Old Timer

Jap Spec GZ - Auto Aerotop (TT)

That Rob is because the Supra was special to you, a love of your life. Like a new partner you wanted the best for it and protected it. where as the civic is like a wife of 12 years, if a bird cr@ps on her it's funny but slightly embarrassing.

J-Spec
Twin Turbo Aerotop
3G Brakes
Blitz nur spec r
Full Stainless DC
Blitz Active Front Spoiler Controler
Greddy Boost + EXT Gauges
Running 1bar
OZ Superleggera
UK Spec Bonnet Scoop
UK Glass Headlamps
Mines ECU