Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Engine Tuning
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Engine Tuning All technical chat regarding the 2JZ

Old 21st December 2004, 10:54 PM   #1
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Input and info about going single for the least cost, most likely when stock twins have gone pop and a solution is needed quickly.

This may not be a totally rounded solution but it should be driveable and provide at least 400Bhp.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 01:46 AM   #2
Syed Shah

Send a message via AIM to Syed Shah

Simple, the SP budget single kit. Certainly not ideal, but in a tight spot, it will suffice.
Soarer TT
Syed Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 04:15 AM   #3
Darren

Jap Spec RZ-S - Auto

'A trader' do a budget single kit for ?1800 using standard manifold meant to be 400-500bhp depending on other specs. Cheapest single kit ive heard of. Will run on 550's with a lower boost apparently. Otherwise you seem to get into nearly ?3k for other kits...

Edited - Please read Traders Policy.

Old 22nd December 2004, 10:20 AM   #4
alex h
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Darren @ Dec. 22 2004,04:15)]'A trader' do a budget single kit for ?1800 using standard manifold meant to be 400-500bhp depending on other specs. Cheapest single kit ive heard of. Will run on 550's with a lower boost apparently. Otherwise you seem to get into nearly ?3k for other kits...
The kit is made by Boostlogic in the States

Basically the price of the kit is low as you re-use the stock exhaust headers to the point where they collect into 2x 3 bolt flanges. Onto these flanges are bolted a custom secondry collector which merges the 2 flanges into 1 T4 header. Obviously fingers will be pointed at the stock manifolds supposed restrictions but it's actually the stock turbo housings that are restrictive not the manifold...so it's not that bad an idea to use the stocker. Also you get the benefit of that section being Cast so it's tough (hell with a single on it it will have less weight to carry around ?). Off of the BL only stock to T4 manifold is a mounting point for the supplied 50mm HKS wastegate and that is dumped to atmosphere via a screamer pipe

The rest of the kit is just standard turbo kit stuff...you save about ?800 by not having the full Tubi manifold...which is worth it IMO to get up and running. And if all you want is performance exceeding hybrids, but not much more, then it makes good VFM sense IMO.

This is shoe string stuff - but you have to be sure that you need the benefits of a Tubi manifold to spend the extra on the SP Street, PHR Street or BL Full T61 kit....

Going back to the Budget kit, it's possible to just drop in a walbro and some 650cc Hi Impedance injectors and be able to fuel it properly (with a fuel computer setup correctly) No lines need to be upgraded the stock stuff can cope. An FMIC or uprated SMIC is required as is really an aftermarket exhaust - the kit comes with a 3" decat and mid-pipe.

Edited - Please read the Traders Policy.

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 04:20 PM   #5
UK Supra TT

400-500bhp, doesn't seem much really.....my twins make 382 at the hubs, i presume where talking hub bhp here? Doesn't seem much of an upgrade....
UK Supra TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 04:46 PM   #6
alex h
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (UK Supra TT @ Dec. 22 2004,16:20)]400-500bhp, doesn't seem much really.....my twins make 382 at the hubs, i presume where talking hub bhp here? Doesn't seem much of an upgrade....
It's about the rubbish part of the rev range where the stock system brings in the 2nd turbo...by the time the sequential system has thought about it the Single equipped car has hit full boost and you're no where.

I'm not going to state actual power figures till I've dyno'd mine

Alex H
Old 22nd December 2004, 05:04 PM   #7
UK Supra TT

So i take it you have bought a T61 then Alex?
Old 22nd December 2004, 05:06 PM   #8
UK Supra TT

I don't think the sequential is that bad, it does get a bit annoying sometimes but mine spools up and kicks in just before 4k, not much different from the single really....they both seem to kick in around the same time don't they if the single boosts at 3600? I know what you mean though when it changes from 1st to both theres a slight delay.
Old 22nd December 2004, 11:55 PM   #9
Darren

Jap Spec RZ-S - Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (UK Supra TT @ Dec. 22 2004,16:20)]400-500bhp, doesn't seem much really.....my twins make 382 at the hubs, i presume where talking hub bhp here? Doesn't seem much of an upgrade....
Well if Alex uses Thors dyno too it will be interesting to compare BHP figures...
Old 23rd December 2004, 12:20 AM   #10
alex h
Old Timer

LOL erm yeah...for laugh I'll go there...
Yes I have the budget T61 setup...once it's on I'll save to go full tubi and possibly I'll look at the DBB turbo's. It won't be fitted till well into january as I'm still waiting for other parts...but I got to cuddle my new baby turbo last night It's the size of a 12month old baby lol...only heavier!

Alex H