Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Engine Tuning
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Engine Tuning All technical chat regarding the 2JZ

Old 21st December 2004, 10:59 PM   #1
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

This thread is to discuss about going single for moderate power gains which still allow the car to be very streetable but at the same time be able to see off the majority of competitors on a track (not drag strip! )

So probably talking about 600 - 700bhp with a well mapped solution to cater for different enviorments and factors, ie good cold start and cruising.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 10:45 AM   #2
alex h
Old Timer

600-700bhp at the crank? or wheels?
500 RWHP is what I would consider to be the best setup for the UK. Because our roads are normally tight and twisty a responsive smaller turbo will be more enjoyable that a larger one.

If you want the ultimate then you need to pay for the best grade of turbo you can....this means going DBB (Dual Ball Baring) and using P-trim (low lag not so high ultimate HP) wheels and not the GTQ wheels which are obviously the opposite.

T61->67P trim with DBB would be my recommended size. A DBB 67 should spool as fast as a non DBB 63...but obviously it will produce more power than the 63. Turbo's are rather heavy paperweights till then get on boost...so spend your money getting them up and running faster and earlier.

So my parts list would be...

T67 DBB
Stainless Tubi-manifold
60mm HKS wastegate with a 1.1bar spring.
GReddy 3Row IC (or similar 600*300*100mm) is required.
650-800cc injector based fuel system (Dual pumps are NOT required) - size of injectors will be determined by the turbo you choose. 650's will suffice for most. Don't just go for the largest injectors available - it won't help.
#8 fuel line - using the stock line as the return.
#8 fuel filter
HKS or similar fuel rail - not for flow reasons but for injector fitting ones and cause it comes with the right fittings for the fuel line (dual entry, single return)
Piggyback ECU (GReddy e-Manage, HKS Fcon - not the SAFC though (its resolution is too low)) or a;
Full aftermarket replacement - MoTeC M800 or AEM/GEMS - obviously this is the way to go if you can get it running all the stock stuff properly. But it's hard work. I'd personally be happy with an e-Manage cause I know I can get it mapped well...
AEM WB02 sensor - required for mapping
EGT and Boost gauges
Electronic Boost Controller.
256i/264e cams.

And then if you want more revs;
ARP rod bolts fitted and an uprated valve train...this should allow for 8,000rpm JUN do a kit for the valvetrain which used to come in at ?1600 inc cams.

Going further still - complete built bottom end - 5k+fitting. JUN or HKS etc...these stroker kits will increase capacity and help spool a turbo up faster.

Other items
UK brakes all round are a minimum but if you want the ultimate street car then I would suggest the full Brembo kit.
The suspension would have to uprated too but that's user perference.
TRD Diff
Tilton Clutch.

i'll have a think and add stuff I remember later

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 04:18 PM   #3
UK Supra TT

If i don't go mad and get a T78, fuel upgrade etc do you think this might be a better setup for the road?

Either BL T61 or SP 63 running stock UK spec fuel, injectors, ignition and ecu etc, but maybe upgrade to Walbro? And clutch upgrade of course, would this setup work well? Also would it run safe and better than stock bpu turbo's? I never thought about running stock fuel until i read it was ok, i allways thought to go single you had to upgrade the lot!

Paul
UK Supra TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd December 2004, 04:42 PM   #4
alex h
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (UK Supra TT @ Dec. 22 2004,16:18)]If i don't go mad and get a T78, fuel upgrade etc do you think this might be a better setup for the road?

Either BL T61 or SP 63 running stock UK spec fuel, injectors, ignition and ecu etc, but maybe upgrade to Walbro? And clutch upgrade of course, would this setup work well? Also would it run safe and better than stock bpu turbo's? I never thought about running stock fuel until i read it was ok, i allways thought to go single you had to upgrade the lot!

Paul
Full BL 61 DBB w/ optional 4" exhaust system
eManage
680cc Lo Impedance injectors
Stock fuel pump - replace if you are worried that it's tired.

This would be pretty devastating on the roads It will be boosting before your UK stockers have even thought about the 2nd turbo. Midrange torque will be crushing

Alex H
Old 22nd December 2004, 05:07 PM   #5
UK Supra TT

Any prices for that list Alex? Sounds like a good setup
UK Supra TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 12:22 AM   #6
alex h
Old Timer

I'm not sure of the current pricing
Though you can get an e-manage from Mohd in the States for under ?400 delivered.

Alex H
Old 23rd December 2004, 12:40 AM   #7
Sharpie

UK Spec - Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (UK Supra TT @ Dec. 22 2004,16:18)]but maybe upgrade to Walbro?
Paul
Paul,

IMO, I don't consider a Walbro pump as an upgrade on a UK car as the UK pump is Very good.

If your pump needs replacing then people tend to go for Walbro GSS341 as they are ? price over the UK'er from Toyota @ ~?220 and is on par with the stock unit.

There appears to be conflicting info between the traders around about "which is the best pump between the two" but, since the 341 and the stock unit have been used by many around the world at BPU and MORE, I don't think you can go wrong with either assuming your existing pump is fine.

HTH
Sharpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 06:10 AM   #8
Syed Shah

Send a message via AIM to Syed Shah

Agreed Peter. I would always prefer the UK-spec pump to a Walbro, yeah it draws more current and costs more. But it is MUCH more reliable than the Walbro, and when your engine is at stake....
Soarer TT
Syed Shah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 09:45 AM   #9
Nathan

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Syed Shah @ Dec. 23 2004,06:10)]Agreed Peter. I would always prefer the UK-spec pump to a Walbro, yeah it draws more current and costs more. But it is MUCH more reliable than the Walbro, and when your engine is at stake....
Been fitting Walbro's for years. We were fitting them before anyone even knew what a 342 was. Never had a single faliure. I would always use a 342 over a stock UK pump, irrespective of engine spec.

As for conflicting info, theres no 'confliction' if people know what they are talking about. As I've said plenty of times before, the 341 and 342 are identical pumps except for the fuel inlet orientations. Why there is still any confusion I have no idea. Maybe certain traders have/had overstocked on 341's....?

We like VVT-i's, especially ECU solutions :-)
Nathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd December 2004, 09:51 AM   #10
Syed Shah

Send a message via AIM to Syed Shah

I appreciate that Nathan, but I know of several skilled and respected people in the US who have had their fingers burnt with the Walbro. It may be a rare occurence, but that is enough for me. a failed fuel pump = ???
Soarer TT
Syed Shah is offline   Reply With Quote