MSOC Forums

Go Back   MSOC Forums > General Chat > General Supra Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar

General Supra Chat All other Supra related chat.

Old 23rd July 2004, 09:49 AM   #31
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Have you read my condensed version of what happened ?

I'm sorry but i don't pay my money over to a company only to be told that they won't discuss the matter further, that is unacceptable in my eyes when i am their customer. As you say they can all give the sweet talk until it comes to the crunch, but when it does come to the crunch i expect to be able to present my case and have it listened to. Maybe i could have accepted being given a hard time if i'd done something foolish and ended up in a ditch or whatever, but the fact that the accident was not my fault made the whole experience all the more bitter.

Since my incident i've heard of people having exactly the same problems with claims against Admiral and Elephant, one of their sister companies. Hence my advice to stay away from the whole group. They also underwrite their own policies which probably gives them more motivation than most to keep payouts low.

As for the agreed valuation, well there are quite a few reasons why i will pay extra for that option nowadays.

Supra prices are so under stated in the trade publications, and it seems to be this that the 'larger' insurers treat as their gospel.

The wrangling over the value of my car delayed the whole process by over 6 months in my case. That is just not something i'm willing to accept in future. If it wasn't for this wrangling (where did i dig that word up from! ) my car would probably have been on the road this summer.

Also the agreed value of your car can play a very big part when it comes to the insurers decision to write off your car. In a simplified view, if they value your car at ?8k and repairs are going to be ?10k then they will write the car off, however if the car's true value is ?14k then chances of them writing it off would be slimmer.

Agreed value just takes away the opportunity for the insurance company to wriggle out of paying the true value of the car. As the Supra market seems to be starting to flood with cheap high miler and tatty examples it will become harder and harder to justify your personal value to the big insurance companies.

A lot of these big companies make the process hard for you because they know a vast majority will just bend over and take it. But it shouldn't be like that when you have paid good money and then through no fault of your own have to call on the service you are paying for.

My own case is proof of the above point, in that in the end the financial ombudsman agreed with my evidence and instructed Admiral to pay up. Would have been cheaper for them to listen to their customer, but hey i guess they make up for me with all the customers who aren't willing to challenge them.

At the end of the day its your money and your choice, but all i'd ask people to do is look beyond the actual premium.

Yes you are correct about Livingstones only insuring over 25's.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd July 2004, 09:49 AM   #32
outatime

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (slick @ July 23 2004,10:05)]One bad experiance shouldn't write off an entire group of companies surely?
Like I said in my previous post, I wouldn't go with elephant for free.

I was with them when I first got my Supra, and their customer service and quality of staff is awful - I lost count of the number of complaints I made. The best one was them losing the letter of with proof of my 5 years no claims and cancelling my policy until I paid over ?500!

When my renewal came through this time, with Adrian Flux, I thought i would try Elephant again on the off chance they have improved. They haven't.

I got a good quote from them, then phoned back an hour later to go through the details only to find they had lost it. The person said they don't cover my car and that I had never had a policy with them in the past! He basically accused me of lying. Eventually, they found the guy who quoted me a whole hour later and said he would phone me back...

He didn't, so I called again to request a written copy of the quote to go through the small print. 'We don't do that', I was told. I asked why and he said (this really annoyed me) that, as someone in business, I should understand why he would not allow me to see a written quotation!

Patronising, rude and wrong. Good combination. I asked for his name and said I would not be insuring my car with elephant due to the incompetence and attitude of their staff, particularly himself.

I sent a complaint email detailing all of this and got a grovelling reply from the 'quality executive' explaining that the staff member in question would be sent for more training and asked to explain his actions. Also, she said that Elephant have no problem with giving written copies of quotations out.

Sorry for the rambling post, but that is only the half of it.

Just to add that the service I have had so far from Livingstones has been exemplary, I cannot fault it.

I phoned this morning to double check my quote was for an import - it was
Old 23rd July 2004, 10:36 AM   #33
slick
Senile Member

UK Spec - Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (chiefgroover @ July 23 2004,10:25)]"Why did you need an agreed valuation in your case martin?"

Insurance companys offer Glasses Guide Bottom book for all cars. Have you seen many nice UK TT's sold for that sort of money? Thought not. Insurance compnay MUST make you 3 offers by law if you push them, I have seen prices moved up 20% buy customer refusal of the first two. Even so it still wont pay for a mint UK Supra, which if mileage is lowish would take ?12K to ?15K to replace. Glasses guide would be somewhere in the ?7K reigon.
Read the whole question:
"Why did you need an agreed valuation in your case martin, was the car actually written off then and you bought it back?"

Just in case you miss it again:

"was the car actually written off then and you bought it back?"

I was wondering if his car had been written off, hence needing the agreed valuation.

I know all about agreed valuations thanks, as mentioned I already use Adrian Flux for a car thats had over 10 grand on mods spent on it. Everything is also insured 'like for like' with them so no cheap parts replacing my stuff. Hence the ?1400 policy.
I too have had bad experiance with Direct Line, when they admittied liability on my behalf against my wishes and making a complete cock up of the claim when I was actually claiming off someone else who clipped me while stationary (bus driver). He ended up getting away with it due to there cock up.
I wouldn't use them again, but as for a company that may be connected in some way to them... I dunno. So I share your pain don't worry lol

When I start to mod the soop I will look around again, till then I'll drive carefull and try and stay out any nutters way ?
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2004, 09:46 AM   #34
baz
stella monster

None - Don't currently own a MKIV Supra.
Send a message via MSN to baz

hi there, im insured with bell direct. they were the cheapest i found, ive got a 2month ban on my licence as well.(naughty boy).
mind u might have been more if it was a j-spec.
Old 28th July 2004, 12:00 PM   #35
V
Club Administrator

Jap Spec RZ-S - Manual

mad welshman,

firstly, would you mind changing your text colour from yellow as its really hard to read, and i squint enough already from years of abuse

Secondly, i tried to insure with Bell, although they wouldnt because it being an import, but they transfered me to Allen & Allen.

Regards
Stephen V
Old 4th August 2004, 12:14 PM   #36
Supragal

FYI

You also need to be over 25 to qualify. Might be worth adding that to the original post?
Old 4th August 2004, 12:57 PM   #37
EmmaG
Old Timer

UK Spec - Manual

Hi Rosie,

Thanks for pointing that out, original post now amended
EmmaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th August 2004, 03:30 PM   #38
MLC

Mines actually come down for the first time in 4 years. Privilege only want ?586 unlimited mileage but after they stiffed me on my MR2 payout an agreed value policy will be worth it even if it's a bit more imo.

'96 UK Auto TT + stuff
100k+ behind the wheel and i'm still not bored...
MLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th August 2004, 01:16 PM   #39
rico

Oh well, ?Livingstones wanted ?1200 to insure my Supra due to the "extensive" ( their words ) mods: its only got a FMIC, Exhaust, Induction Kit, Electric Boost Controller,HKS SSQV plus cosmetics which isnt exactly outrageous.

Ill ring around a few other to compare, and think long and hard before deciding. Out of interest, the lower quotes ive seen on here, what agreed value where they for? ?1200 was for a ?20k agreed, which may be why its pushed up.

98 j-spec vvti
rico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2004, 06:43 PM   #40
MLC

No go with Livingstones for me, they don't offer agreed value on cars that do over 7.5k miles a year. Plus they didnt like my intended paint job since you can't patch spray it. As if insurance sprayers can match normal paints properly anyway :shrug: .

'96 UK Auto TT + stuff
100k+ behind the wheel and i'm still not bored...
MLC is offline   Reply With Quote