Go Back   MSOC Forums > Technical > Engine Tuning
Register FAQ Community Calendar

Engine Tuning All technical chat regarding the 2JZ

Old 13th August 2004, 09:23 AM   #31
oilman
Recognised Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Aug. 11 2004,12:27)]Apologies, the GE is the non-turbo car and the GTE the turbo car. The non-turbo car uses a well established 5 speed box (however later ones had a V161 six speed option).

V160 is just the Toyota (possibly Getrag as well) designation for the box, but they also use this for their matching oil.
I have been doing some research in to this V160. Toyota for some reason have with held the spec for this gear oil. No reason why!!

This makes finding alternatives difficult as I dont know what grade the oil is. I feels to me like it is being with held to stop you replacing with an alternative so your forced to buy the V160, I know BMW do a similar thing with some of their diff oils.

However ive got stuck into this one now so I am going to give Toyata a good prod and see what comes back.

Cheers

Guy.
oilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 09:33 AM   #32
Martin F
Administrator

UK Spec - Manual
Send a message via MSN to Martin F

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (oilman @ Aug. 13 2004,10:23)]I know BMW do a similar thing with some of their diff oils.
I'm pretty sure the same box is used in one of the BMW's, but obviously specs could be slightly different.

I'll have a dig when i get home see if i have any more info.

UK6TT + Bits & Bobs

'Remember folks, the inside lane isn't just for Xmas'

MSOC FAQ MSOC Members Discounts MSOC Resources
Martin F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 09:45 AM   #33
oilman
Recognised Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (SupraZed @ Aug. 12 2004,18:36)]Hi Oilman, just after a reccomendation, I have '94 uk spec 6 sp supra tt, with an uprated intercooler, new radiator and a mocal 16 row oil cooler, not used on track days but sees bursts of hard driving with fairly regular high speed runs. I also have a boost controller set to 1.15 bar. The car has 105k miles on it and is running fine. ?At my last oil change (500 miles ago) I thought i'd give millers 10w60 a go instead of the valvoline synpower 5w50. ?

I went with the heavier oil as it has been noticed by other members with higher mileage cars that it can eliminate the occaisional puff of smoke on start up if the car has'nt been driven for a week or so. The supra is known to do this due to the valve stem seals wearing.

I'm now a little concerned after reading your comments about going up 2 grades to 60, I thought the higher number would be better for higher temps and hence a better summer oil.

I'd appreciate if you would pm me the costs of your reccommended oil for my requirements.
Thease days if you choose the correct oil, there are no advantages from winter to summer, especially in our climate!!

However there is an advantage to moving to a slightly thicker oil if the car is of quite high mileage and is driven hard.

The problem with the 10w-60 is it is too thick. the 10w is fine the problem lies with the SEA60. When hot it is as thick as some gear oils! this is often read as good oil pressure etc.

However your engine is having to work over time to pump this stuff around, to do this it takes power from elsewhere.

The 5w-50 was a better choice however I believe the VI improvers have to work over time to control the balance between such a large viscosity range. To cover a range this large thay have to throw in lots and lots of VI improver. Evan though VI improvers are in every multigrade, the Less Vi improvers the better.

Go for a 10w-50. This should be Ideal. We have the Silkolene Pro S 10w-50 which is a very good ESTER synthetic, or the Mobil 1 15w-50 PAO synthetic.

E-mail me at sales@opieoils.co.uk for a full price list.

Cheers

Guy
Old 13th August 2004, 12:20 PM   #34
SupraZed

Cheers Oilman, will be ordering some soon.

By the way, if it helps with the getrag v160 gearbox oil issue, I know that the same gearbox was used in the Porsche 968 and the Lotus Carlton.

Cheers mate.
Old 13th August 2004, 01:25 PM   #35
alex h
Old Timer

It's also used in the R34 Skyline and I believe the Corvette once it went 6-speed.

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th August 2004, 02:02 PM   #36
oilman
Recognised Trades

Cheers guys,

That helps.

Im on it.

Guy
Old 13th August 2004, 03:51 PM   #37
Suprz_RZ

Oilman,

I'm running with Shell Helix in my TT supra. Nothing wrong with that is there? I thought that if shell make the best fuel for our cars, then they surely must make a good oil for them as well?

Stock TT with HKS filter and SS pipe. + CW double de-cat.
Veilside C1 bodykit, minus front bumper due to \"badger\" incedent last year.
IK24's to be fitted so she dont misfire at 1.2 bar!
Suprz_RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2004, 12:46 PM   #38
oilman
Recognised Trades

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Suprz_RZ @ Aug. 13 2004,16:51)]Oilman,

I'm running with Shell Helix in my TT supra. Nothing wrong with that is there? I thought that if shell make the best fuel for our cars, then they surely must make a good oil for them as well?
To be honest we dont know enough about the Shell Helix to make an informed decision as to if it is any good. Accurate tech data has been hard to get hold of, oil companies are pretty shady...

What grade are you using?

I can then recomend a selection that I can stand by.

Cheers

Guy.
Old 16th August 2004, 02:53 PM   #39
alex h
Old Timer

Going back to the V160 oil - there is an Esso oil that is recommended for the Skyline (which has the same box..) Esso ATF D21065

It's not the same as far as I know...but it does get used in Getrag box's

Alex H
alex h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2004, 05:58 PM   #40
Syed Shah

Send a message via AIM to Syed Shah

Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (Martin F @ Aug. 13 2004,10:33)]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [b
Quote[/b] (oilman @ Aug. 13 2004,10:23)]I know BMW do a similar thing with some of their diff oils.
I'm pretty sure the same box is used in one of the BMW's, but obviously specs could be slightly different.

I'll have a dig when i get home see if i have any more info.
A stronger (supposedly) V160 is used in the M3. Not the latest shape, the previous one.

Simon, nice to have you on the site, your clearly very clued-up on this stuff.
Soarer TT
Syed Shah is offline   Reply With Quote